Lola’s Ramblings is a feature on my blog Lola’s Reviews where I ramble on about a book related or a non-book related topic. These are discussion type of posts where I talk about a topic and readers can weigh in on the topic in the comments. Usually these posts are everything that doesn’t fall under any standard header, like tours, cover reveals, memes, challenges, recaps or reviews. Lola’s Ramblings posts are discussions of a certain topic and my point of view on them. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Designs.
At the start of the new year I listed ten new releases I was hoping to read this year. I thought it was fun to look back at the end of the year to see which of these books I actually managed to read. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised, I am a planning person and can plan everything, but not what I read. I am too much of a moodreader for that. So while I set goals they usually are broad or wide goals instead of specific ones. But I actually managed to 9 of the 10 books I had hoped to read this year, it probably helps that these were all books I was really looking forward to. Okay let’s look at the books in question.
Which of the Ten New Releases did I actually read in 2016
- The Daydreamer Detective by SJ Pajonas. I read this one as soon as I got my hands on a copy and really enjoyed it! You can read my review of The Daydreamer Detective here.
- Grilled for Murder (Country Store Mysteries #2) by Maddie Day. Also got this read, pretty early in the year even. I enjoyed book 1 and book 2 was just as good, looking forward to book 3 next year! Read my review of Grilled for Murder.
- Saven: Disclosure (Saven #2) and Saven: Defiance (Saven #3) by Siobhan Davis. Yup got both of these read! I continue to enjoy this series! I can’t wait to see how this series ends in book 4. If you enjoy a good YA sci-fi romance book, I would recommend this series. Read my review of Saven Disclosure here and my review of Saven Defiance here.
- City of the Lost by Kelley Armstrong. Yes, read this one and loved it! It was my first 5 star read of the year. And I am so glad this book will be turned into a series. I already have book 2 pre-ordered. Read my review of City of the Lost here.
- Bright Blaze of Magic (Black Blade #3) by Jennifer Estep. This is the only book I didn’t manage to read of my list, which makes me a bit sad as I have book 2 and 3 in this series and haven’t read them despite loving book 1. Hopefully I can get around to finishing this series next year.
- Nobody But You (Cedar Ridge #3) by Jill Shalvis. I read this one early in the year and it was a great third and last book in the series. I even got some more of her books read this year and she’s quickly becoming one of my favorite contemporary romance authors. I really like how she writes romances. Read my review of Nobody but You here.
- Amanda Lester and the Blue Peacocks’ Secret (Amanda Lester, Detective #4) by Paula Berinstein. Yes read this one! It was a great book in the series! You can read my review of Amanda Lester and the Blue Peacocks’ Secret here.
- The Illusory Prophet (Singularity #3) by Susan Kaye Quinn. Yes read this one and it was so good! One of the best books I read this year. Read my review of The Illusory Prophet.
- Betrayals (Cainsville #4) by Kelley Armstrong. I am glad that I managed to read this one still in this year as well, it was a great read and one of my few 5 star reads as well. I did read in later int he year, but I am glad I managed to fit it in this year. I am so curious about book 5! Read review of Betrayals here.
- A Disguise to Die For (Costume Shop Mystery #1) by Diane Vallere. Yes read this one! I pre-ordered it and it won a my to-be read list poll in march. I really enjoyed it! I own book 2 as well, but haven’t read that one yet. Read my review of A Disguise to Die For here.