The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer.
It’s a chance to share News. A post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up for the week on our blog.
What happened this week?
Not sure why, but this week was just a bit meh. Lots of little things that heaped up. Although also some good things happened. I got a nice chunk of work done, had lunch with my mom and even had some inspiration for blog posts. There was a topic for a Lola’s Advice post that I wanted to write about, but I kept putting it off as I wasn’t sure how to write it. Then Thursday morning I suddenly got a bout of inspiration and knew how I wanted to write the post, so I sat down and wrote it. I normally always start with work first, so it was interesting to switch up my routine and write a blog post first thing in the morning. It’s nice when inspiration hits you like that.
I still haven’t gotten approved for two of the cozies and the edelweiss book I requested last week. I dislike the uncertainty and just want to know if I get the books or not. Anyone else is impatient when it comes to waiting to get approved or declined for books? I did up my netgalley percentage a bit by submitting feedback for two books I don’t plan on reading anymore. I am so close to the 70% now!
I got featured in Double in the Books their magazine, I did a guest post about how to pick which reading challenges to sign-up for and they interviewed me. It was fun and they really asked some great questions. You can read their January magazine here.
And I want to link to Metaphors and Moonlight her Books with Disabilities Archive. It’s a list of fantasy and sci-fi books with disabilities in them. If you’re interested in that or know a book she could add to the list please stop by.
As I am linking to other sites anyway, I have another link I want to share. I also read this very relatable post by SJ Pajonas this week about how Patience is the Key to success. This applies to my business a lot as well and I think she makes some good points.
I tried out a new recipe last Sunday, actually two, one of them was a total failure an done a big success. The first recipe was vegetable bouillon from scratch, I had seen this recipe on buzzfeed and it looked easy enough. We collected veggie scarps, boiled them and then drained it. And it was horrid, the taste was foul and bland at the same time. That evening I made chocolate covered coconut ball, afraid they would be a failure as well, but they turned out delicious. I already have the recipe post scheduled for my blog :).
Picture of the Week
Here’s a picture of the chocolate covered coconut balls I made last weekend. They wer really good. They tasted a bit like bounties and they only required 3 ingredient it make. Will be making these again, they were a big success.
What did I read this week?
This was mostly a good reading week. I finished 3 books, two full length books and one novella. The novella was my favorite of the three ;). And I am in the middle of two great reads at the moment.
Pressed to Death is the second book in a series, it was a fun cozie, but not as good as the first book and I gave it a 3 star. Faerie Curse was a solid installment in that series, this is book 5 now and I just got book 6 for review. Each book follows the same set-up, but with a different story and it’s been a good series so far. In With the new was a novella written by Tracy Krimmer and I really enjoyed it. It was such a fun read and it featured two realistic main characters and their adorable dogs. I am looking forward to sharing my review with you next week and a way to get your own free copy of the book 🙂
What did I cook for dinner this week?
- Sunday: leftover Veggies in Chill Sauce and rice on tortilla wrap
- chocolate covered coconut balls
- Monday: Fried Rice, but with mie/ noodles instead of rice
- Tuesday: leftover Fried Rice, but with mie/ noodles instead of rice
- Wednesday: Peanut Pasta
- Thursday: leftover Peanut Pasta
- Friday: Soup with french bread
- Apple Crumble
- Saturday: Japanese Curry
This week I blogged about:
– Review: Death of a Toy Soldier by Barbara Early
– Review: I Found my Rhino by Erin Hayes
– Lola’s Ramblings: When you want to read Everything
– Lola’s Kitchen: Curry Rice Recipe
It was fun to have a ramlings post again this week and I am glad to know I am not the only one who gets this reading moods where I want to read everything.
What to expect next week on the blog:
– Review: Love, Lies and Hocus Pocus Beginnings by Lydia Sherrer
– Review: Four of a Kind by Kellie Sheridan
– Review: One Snowy Night by Jill Shalvis
– Lola’s Kitchen: Pumpkin Soup Recipe
– Review: In With the New by Tracy Krimmer
Not sure how I ended up with four review posts in one week, but I’ve been reading a lot of novella’s lately so I blame it on that. I can’t wait to finally tell you about Lydia Sherrer her Lily Singer series!
Tours open for sign-up on Lola’s Blog Tours:
– Single Chicas by Sandra C Lopez
– Here Comes the Witch by Ani Gonzalez
– Newborn by Edward Hoorneart
– Necromancer by Graeme Ing
– Teach Your Heart by Tracey Alvarez
– Naughty or Nice by Jessie Logan
– Right Under Your Nose by Holly Tierney-Bedord
– Fated Memories by Joan Carney
– Remember by Joan Carney
– Finding Kyler by Siobhan Davis
– Vanquished by S.E. Green
– Making Bad Choices by Rita Stradling
Check the full list of open review opportunities here.
– Keeping the Distance by Clarisse David – 24 January
– Book Blitz: Amanda Lester Series by Paula Berinstein – 30 January till 5 February
– Book Blitz: Reckless Hearts by Heather Van Fleet– 7 till 13 February
– Book Blitz: Melancholy Ghost by Kat Mayor – 21 till 27 February
A Cowboy to Keep I got for review for during a blog tour. I have enjoyed all of Karen her books so far, so I am excited about this one. I am over halfway through at the moment and it’s really good so far! I got Faerie Hunt for review from the author, it’s a great series so far. Murder at Lowry House was an impulse buy, it sounded good, so I bought it. Starflight I bought in paperback format with some of the money I got for Christmas. I heard good things about this one and the cover is so pretty! I got The Royal Pain for review from the author.
Freebies I grabbed:
I got the following freebies this week (they were free when I got them):
- Buzz Off by Hannah Reed (Cozy Mystery) Amazon|Goodreads
- Ryzard by Ariana Hawkes (Paranormal Romance) Amazon|Goodreads
- Moorigad: Dragon Collection (Age of the Hybrid #1-3) by Debra Kristi (Paranormal/ Fantasy) Amazon|Goodreads
- Fire Sorcerer by David J. Normoyle (Urban Fantasy) Amazon|Goodreads
- Window by T.M. Franklin (YA Fantasy) Amazon|Goodreads
- The Playmaker by Jordan Ford (Sports Romance) Amazon|Goodreads – I was so happy to see this one for free as it was on my wishlist. I read two books by this author and wanted to read this series too.
- Threads of Silk by Amanda Roberts (Historical) Amazon|Goodreads
- Shadows of the Gods by S. M. Schmitz (Mythology) Amazon|Goodreads
Also check out my facebook post here where I list freebies and cheap books during the week.