Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts, tens list posts about food or recipes or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Designs.
This dish is a bit of a combination between curry and fried rice and it has quickly become one of my favorite dishes to make. It’s not too difficult or take too long to make and it tastes really good. It’s a rice dish filled with curry flavors and veggies.
This recipe is loosely based on Gourmandelle her Curry Coconut Thai Rice Recipe.
- Red Bell Pepper – 2
- Rice – 2 cups
- Peas – 1 1/2 cups
- Onion – 1
- Coconut Milk – 1 can
- Water – 1 cup
- Vegetable Bouillon cubes – 2
- Curry Powder – 2 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon
- Masala – 2 teaspoon
- Cumin – 2 teaspoon
- Mustard seed Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Curry madras – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger powder – 1/2 teaspoon
You can replace the peas also with some edammae beans, corn and lentils.
- First slice and dice the onion and red bell pepper. In a wok heat some olive oil and bake the onion until translucent. Then add the red bell pepper and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Now add the coconut milk, the bouillon cubes, the water and the other spices to the wok. Stir well and let it gently cook.
- In the meantime start boiling the rice for about 10 minutes. Once the rice still has too cook for about 5 minutes, add the peas to the wok and stir.
- Drain the rice when it’s done and add it to the wok with sauce and veggies. Stir well and let it soak up the sauce for a few minutes.
- Now you can eat your curry rice.
- Curry Rice with corn. Only add one red bell pepper and add a cup of corn to the dish instead. I once forgot to buy 2 red bell peppers and found out it tastes great with corn too.
- Vary with veggies. While I like to add red bell pepper and peas, you can add any veggie you like. Think green beans, mushrooms, lentils, tomatoes etc.
- Spicy Curry Rice.Add a bit of a hot pepper or cayenne pepper powder to the dish to make it more spicy. A bit of sambal works too.