Lola’s Ramblings is a feature on my blog Lola’s Reviews where I ramble on about a book related or a non-book related topic. These are discussion type of posts where I talk about a topic and readers can weigh in on the topic in the comments. Usually these posts are everything that doesn’t fall under any standard header, like tours, cover reveals, memes, challenges, recaps or reviews. Lola’s Ramblings posts are discussions of a certain topic and my point of view on them. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Designs.
I am keeping things simple with reading challenges this year and decided to only join two reading challenges, but I wanted to still set a few goals or things I like to achieve this year, but didn’t feel like joining a challenge for that. So I decided to make one post that, where I list all my goals. Some goals are very specific, others more broad. I am hoping I will reach a lot of these goals, but not going to stress if I don’t. At the end of the year I plan to look back and see how I did.
Bookish and blogging goals
- Read more books by Tracy Krimmer, Tracey Alvarez and Veronica Scott. These are three authors who were new to me in 2015 where I read my first book by them. And I already own multiple of their others books and I want to read more of their books in 2017. I really like Tracy her writing style and want to read more of her books, I read two of her books in 2016 and hope to read at least that many in 2017. I read my first Tracy Alvarez book this year and I love how she writes romances, I bought book 1 and 2 in that series I started (I started with book 3) and own the first 5 books in her other series, so enough books to read. I own about 4 of Veronica Scott her books by now, but only have read two of her short stories in anthologies, so I hope to read some of her full length books this year.
- Finish Alisa Woods her Wilding Pack Wolves series. I read the first book in this series this year and hope to finish it in 2017. she publishes book so fast, so I want to keep reading her books, so I don’t far too far behind.
- Stay up to date with the new releases from Kelley Armstrong, SJ Pajonas, Siobhan Davis, Jill Shalvis, HY Hanna and Craysa Locke. These are some of my favorite authors and I want to do my best and keep up to date with their books and review them as soon as possible around the release day if possible.
- Try to keep up with ARC team books. For 2017 I hope to stay up to date with my arc teams and review the books in a decent time if possible. I joined these teams as I want to read their books and have fallen behind with ARC’s for some authors and want to catch up and stay up to date where possible.
- Try to get that netgalley percentage above 70% finally. This was one of my goals for last year and I failed, although I did get very close. This year I hope to get it above 70% and maybe even higher. I still plan to get new books, but also be picky about which ones I do request. And above all try and read and review the books I already have or get.
- Keep reading cozy mysteries. In 2015 I tried my first cozy mystery and I love the genre, I read a lot of cozies in 2016 and I hope to keep reading a lot of them this year. I already have some cozies I hope to read this year and some new releases I am excited for as well.
- Focus on newly acquired books first and on older ones later. This is a strategy I seem to do well with lately and it fits my moodreading tendencies as I am usually in the mood for books I recently got. So I want to keep going ahead with this as long as it works for me. Read those newer books first and focus on the older ones whenever I am in the mood for one. Don’t worry too much about the older review copies as long as I can do well by keeping up with the new review books (in the last 6 months – a year) I get. This is also the reason why I signed up for the 2017 new release challenge.
When it comes to my personal life I want to keep working hard on my blog and business, but also be a bit more relaxed. I want to take some time off now and then and don’t push myself to hard. if I have to miss a post now and then that’s okay. Or if I can’t comment back to every comment, that’s okay too. Although I will keep trying to keep commenting back on every comments if possible.
- Don’t push myself too hard. Yes I am making this a goal. I do want to keep working hard, but also take a break now and then. I am already taking things slower on the weekends and I hope to keep doing that and to take time for myself during the day as well. Sometimes take a small break for lunch or take things calm when I have a headache or feel one coming.
- Keep trying new recipes. In 2017 I want to keep trying new recipes regularly, but I also will be making a lot of recipes I already know as that’s easy and familiar.
- Make two pies this year. I hate making pies, but love eating them. So I am making this a goal for this year just like last year. There’s this ambrosia pie that got shared in Speak no Evil that I hope to try making soon. And I have a whole pinterest board filled with inspiration.
- Keep blogging fun. I hope to keep blogging fun in 2017, so far I haven’t been in danger of falling into a slump, but I got close end 2016. It all got a bit overwhelming and I want to do my best to keep things fun in 2017 and don’t stress myself out too much.
- Visit other blogs besides commenting back. I usually manage to comment back, but I also hope to do some visiting of blogs when not commenting back. I think facebook is going to help me with this and I plan to try and like and click on blog posts when I see them in my facebook timeline so I see these throughout the day and can visit a blog post now and then.
- Play games. Playing games is one of the the hobbies I drop first when things get busy and I hope to keep making time to game in 2017. I love gaming and it makes me feel happy, so I want to do my best and make time for this in 2017.
While 2016 wasn’t a bad year for business, I also can’t call it a good year for business. In 2015 I organized 35 tours, while in 2016 I only organized 30 tours. I did make a bit more money on a yearly basis but only a few hundred euro’s more, which isn’t much and mostly thanks to the extra assistant work I did last year. I want to continue to grow my business, so I am hoping to do that in 2017.
- Grow my tour hosts list. I don’t care with how much, but I want to keep growing my tour host list. I hope to grow my list with at least 10% or 30% preferably.
- Grow my newsletter for authors. I 2016 I started a newsletter for authors and while I am really happy with the amount of sign-ups so far and how many open my e-mails, I hope to focus on growing it even more in 2016. It also goes well with my next goal. I hope to grow my newsletter for author with 25% or double it.
- Do more discounts. I have been against discounts for a long time and I am thinking it’s one of the reason my business isn’t growing much. I am not attracting enough new customers and I think discounts will help me do that. I am planning to do more discounts in 2017 and even have already planned out which discounts I want to run in 2017. I think my prices are fair and fit the slogan “affordable quality blog tours” that I aim for, but people love discounts and I am hoping doing some discounts will attract some costumers and is a nice gift to returning customers. I ran one review opp discount this year and started a big discount for tours that run in January and February and so far they are doing great. So I think doing more discounts in 2017 will be a good move.
- Organize more tours than in 2016 and 2015. In 2015 I organized 35 tours and in 2016 I organized 30 tours. I hope to organize at least more than 35 tours this year, but hope to reach the 40 tours this year. I am hoping the discounts will help with that.
- Keep evaluating and improving. I want to keep evaluating what works and what doesn’t and keep improving myself and my business.