Lola’s Rambings is a feature on Lola’s Review where I talk about me. Usually these posts are everything that doesn’t fall under any standard header, like blog tours, book blitzes, cover reveals or reviews. Lola’s Ramblings posts are are personal discussions of a certain topic. Sometimes about book related topics and sometimes about non-book related topics. This feature was previously known as About Me. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Design.
I came up with the idea for this blog tour post after planning a blog post about how much effort organizing tours was, but while I wanted to talk about my job and I like showing what kind of work I do, I felt like that post was more like I was showing off how much effort tours is and that wasn’t what I wanted to accomplish with that post. So then I thought of what I actually wanted to tell people and how I could turn a post about my job more positive. So then I came up with this idea, I realized how much I love my job and then I was wondering what others liked about their jobs. I want to hear about your jobs and what the fun parts are!
I believe every job has it’s fun parts
I always hope that most people at least like some things about their job as you spend most of your days working. Maybe that’s the optimist in me or maybe I just grew up believing your work had to be fun at least, but I strongly believe that if you enjoy your work, you work better and if possible you should try and find a job that makes you happy. After being jobless for a long time a few years back does mean I know how hard that can be and that sometimes just having a job at all is a blessing and beggars can’t be choosers. But I still hope that everyone can find something fun about their job.
Often people seem to complain about their jobs, but you don’t often hear people talking about the things they like about their job. So I want to focus on the positive things today! I always dreamt of having a fun job as a kid and I could see the fun aspects in many different jobs, I always wanted to be a teacher or a writer. I loved coming up with stories and told me sister stories when we didn’t want to sleep. And I always though teaching peopel new things is fun and I still think that, even though I don’t think I would enjoy teaching for whole days. I also thought that working in a hotel sounded like the best job ever as everyone who visits is having fun and going on vacation. I read a book when I was young about kids growing up in a hotel, so that might have controbuted to that idea. I have no clue if I actually would enjoy those jobs though and I think that those jobs can be hard as well. I think that whether you enjoy your job or not is also a mixture or your job and your personality. I for example probably wouldn’t be able to focus in a busy clothing store, even though for other people that might be a great job as they are more outgoing and can stand talking to people the whole day. While I feel exhausted after a day of interacting with people. I feel like in my current job as owner of Lola’s Blog Tours I am on my place and the job fits me and what I want from a job. I can honestly say I love my job and I think I pretty much have my dreamjob.
What is my job
I am the owner of Lola’s Blog Tours and pretty much treat it as a full time job. I work about 6-8 hours each day even in the weekend, but I don’t mind that. I organize tours, have contact with authors, promote the tours I am organizing, sned out e-mails, have contact with bloggers and update my site. Beside that I also do some marketing assistant work. My job involves all aspects of making sure Lola’s Blog Tours runs smoothy. This involves sending out e-mails, working on media kits, checking sign-up forms, sendign out media kits and more.
What I like about my job
Okay really there are very few things I dislike about my job, actually I can’t really think of anything. I don’t really like doing VAT, but it’s only a few times each year, so it’s not too bad. Sometimes difficult situations with a blogger or author pop up, but those are rare. In general I enjoy most aspects about my job.
- Working with authors, bloggers and books. I love working with authors and helping them spread the word about their books. There is nothing better then working with authors and books all day long. I also like the promoting aspect and how I am helping spread the word about awesome books. I love books and being able to work with books every day makes me happy. The contact with authors and bloggers is another one of the things I like, most authors and bloggers are really nice people and it never feels like a hazzle to answer their e-mails.
- Control. I am a control freak and one of the things I love about my job is having total control, I can determine my schedule, I can determine when I do what or when to move a task to the next. I can take breaks whenever I want, although I hardly ever do so. If I want to change something I can, if I don’t like something I can change it whenever I want. I can remove things that don’t work for me or try out new things if I have a great idea. I don’t have to ask or consult anyone else before implanting a change. Ofcourse there are always some things that are outside my control, but I like having as much control as I do in my job.
- Standing up late. I am so not a morning person and standing up how late I want is a definite plus about my job. It also helps that I am in the Netherlands and most people like authors and bloggers I work with live in the US, so when I stand up around noon, that means that’s about when the day starts in the US as well as it’s about 6am there. So I am more awake during the same hours because I stand up later. So it’s not only something I like, it’s also handy for my job. You can read this post if you want to know what a day in my life looks like.
- Working alone. I hate to admit it, but I am just not a team worker. Ofcourse I dont completely work alone as I work with authors and bloggers, but I don’t have another person who works at Lola’s Blog Tours and with whom I have to coordinate things. And that’s one of the things I like as I am not good at working together in that sense. This also ties in with me being a control freak. I just prefer working alone and I am happy that I can do that.
- Organizing tours. I am a very organized person and I love organizing things, from the planning stage to seeing it all come together and then the start of the tour, it’s almost magical. I do a happy dance every time a new blogger signs-up for a tour or as a tour host. And the start of a tour always feels exciting as I’ve been working on it a long time and I can finally see the results in the form of blog posts going live.
- Online communication. I find communicating online much easier and comfortable than talking to people in real life, it’s not to say I never talk to people in real life, but I find communicating online easier. When I talk with people in real life it often drains my energy, but I never seem to have that issue online for some reason. So I am happy for the internet and being able to communicate online, although I would love to meet some of the people I met online in real life once.
Lola’s Blog Tours is a dream come true and I love being able to do what I love every day. It can be hard sometimes, but at the core it’s work that I love doing and I hope I am able to keep doing this for a long time to go.