Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts, tens list posts about food or recipes or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Designs.
Today I want to talk about my favourite warm late evening snacks. I don’t eat a lot of sweets or snacks during the day, it’s breakfast, lunch, dinner and then dessert. But during the evening I am often craving something sweet, so I’ve come up with a list of my favourite evening snacks. I decided to focus on warm evening snacks only for this post.
What makes for a good Late Evening Snack
For me a good late evening snacks must be easy to prepare, I don’t mind waiting half an hour while it’s in the oven, but I want not to do too much effort myself. When it’s late evening I usually don’t feel like standing in the kitchen for half an hour or more to make, so a good evening snack only requires 5-20 minutes of preparation that I have to do myself. Then I like evening snacks that I can eat in one go myself or will be cooled down before I go to sleep. Things like pie or cookies often take a lot of time to bake and can take longer to cool down, so those don’t work.
Top Five Warm Late Evening Snacks
- Store bought snacks. I don’t splurge on storebought snacks too often as making something myself is often cheaper, but usually I buy something storebought each week as well. My favourite store bought warm snacks are: Loempia’s (big burrito sized egg rolls, see picture below), vegetarian sausage breads, pre-sliced french bread with herb butter or pancakes/ poffertjes (very small round pancakes, see picture below). The handy thing about these is that you only need to pop them in the oven or microwave, wait and eat.
- Crumble. I love crumble, my favorite crumbles are apple crumble or peach crumble. For both I use my crumble recipe. Only for the peach version I use a jar of preserved peaches, which I cut into tiny pieces. It only takes a few minutes to heat up the oven, prepare the crumble and fruit and put it in a bowl. I usually make enough to eat from it two evenings. If it hasn’t cooled down enough to cover when I go to sleep, I just put it back in the oven, which is by then cooled down. Crumble is warm, sweet and yummy, it contains fruit and doughy goodness. It’s perfect.
- Mug Cake. Nowadays I don’t make these as often, but mug cakes are perfect as late night snacks. You only make enough cake for one portion, microwave it, eat it, done! The tricky part is finding a good mug cake recipe and you do need to have a microwave. The only good mug cake recipe I found so far is my cinnamon mug cake recipe.
- Puff Pastry Snacks. Puff pastry snacks are easy to prepare, take some time to bake and are yummy. There are also a of options for these. My favourite ones are puff pastry with cheese, puff pastry with apple or cinnamon sugar puff pastry twisters. Which reminds me I still need to do a recipe post for the other two.
- Kaiserschmarrn. I can’t make pancakes, so if I haven’t bought store bought pancakes and want something pancakey I go for Kaiserschmarrn. It doesn’t take long to prepare, is warm and enough for one person. I love Kaiserscharrn!