Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts, tens list posts about food or recipes or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Designs.
I was in a bit of a baking slump when I stumble upon this recipe. It looked very easy, required only a few ingredients and looked delicious. I pinned the recipe and not much later I decided to give it a try as I had all the ingredients at home. This is a perfect recipe for when you are craving something sweet, but don’t want to stand in the kitchen too long. We affectionately call them Twisties.
The original recipe called them churros, but I have eaten churros and they are delicious, but these taste nothing like churros. So I made up my own name for the recipe and tweaked the measurements a bit.
This recipe is based on Inspiration Kitchen her Baked Cinnamon Sugar Churros Recipe
- Puff Pastry – 6 small squares
- Butter – 50 gram/ 3.5 tablespoons
- Sugar – 40 gram/ 3 tablespoons
- Cinnamon – 1 heaped teaspoon
- A Pastry brush
This makes 12 cinnamon puff pastry twists or enough for about 2-3 people to eat. So if you want more double the recipe. Also it is possible your puff pastry dough is differently shaped than mine, so beware to take that into account.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 356 degrees Fahrenheit or follow the instructions on your package puff pastry.
- Remove the puff pastry from the freezer, so they can thaw.
- Return to the kitchen after about 5 minutes. Melt the butter for about 30-40 seconds in the microwave.
- Mix the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
- Now pick up the first puff pastry square. Brush a layer of molten butter on the pastry with the pastry brush.
- With a spoon sprinkle a layer of cinnamon sugar on top of the butter.
- Now cut the square in 4 thin strips. Put two strips on top of each other with the cinnamon facing the inside. Repeat with the other two strips. Then twist them so they look like twisters and place on a baking sheet.
- Repeat with the rest of the puff pastry squares
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until they are golden brown or follow the instructions on your package puff pastry.
- Remove them from the oven and let them cool down for 5 minutes. Place them on a plate and eat them, enjoy!
- Puff pastry cinnamon rolls. Instead of cutting the puff pastry square in two, roll the puff pastry. You now have roll shaped pastry instead.
- Puff Pastry Twisters with sugar. Not a fan of cinnamon? Remove the cinnamon and make these with sugar only.