Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts, tens list posts about food or recipes or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Designs.
So I kinda have a love and hate relationship with mug cakes. I love the idea. Want something yummy, but don’t want to heat up the oven and prepare a whole batch of muffins, but just enough for one person? Make a mug Cake. It’s pretty brilliant. On the other hand my first few mug cake tries were prettty bad, the texture being all off and bleigh. And making one mug cake is about as much effort as making a whole batch, but you have less, so I usually make a whole batch. The problem with a whole batch is that you have to cool it down and store it. So one late evening I had a very bad craving for something sweet and warm, but it was too late to make anything as I would go to bed before it had cooled down. So I decided to give this mug cake recipe a try and I finally found a recipe that I liked. So I decided to share it here on the blog. It’s very quick to make and you end up with the perfect mug cake for one person, perfect for those late night cravings.
This recipe is based on Five Heart Home her Snickerdoodle Mug Cake Recipe
- Flour – 48 gram/ 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons
- Sugar – 2 tablespoons
- Butter – 28 gram/ 2 tablespoons
- Milk – 125 ml/ 1/4 cup
- Cinnamon – 1/2 teaspoon
- Baking Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Vanilla Essence – 1/2 teaspoon
And you need a big mug. If there is still some room in the mug left after adding anything, you should be okay. This makes a mug cake for one person.
- In the mug where you want the mug cake to end up in, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon and baking powder. Mix well.
- Melt the butter and add it to the mug. Also add the vanilla essence and the milk and stir well. It will be a pretty thick mixture.
- You can add a bit sugar and cinnamon on top for extra flavour.
- Put the mug in the microwave for 1 till 1 1/2 minutes. Even if it is slightly undone that’s okay as there’s no egg in it. With 1 minute it’s usually oaky, but I often put it in the microwave for a few extra seconds just in case.
- Remove the mug from microwave and enjoy your mug cake, yum!
- Vanilla Mug Cake. Don’t add the cinnamon and add a bit more vanille essence.
- Chocolate Chip Mug Cake. Don’t add the cinnamon, but add a few chocolate chips to the dough.
- Apple Cinnamon Mug Cake. Add a few pieces of apple to the dough.