Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts, tens list posts about food or recipes or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Designs.
I love “Speculaas” Spices, here in the Netherlands we can easily buy it and it makes for a great spice mix to add into bakings. Last year I already shared my recipe for “Kruidnootjes”, today I have another recipe with “Speculaas” Spices. “Speculaas” Spices consist of mainly cinnamon and a few other spices, if you can’t buy or make “Speculaas” Spices, then cinnamon powder is a good substitution.
These “Speculaas” Muffins have a delicious taste and are filled with almond paste. This was the first time I tried putting filling in my muffins and I love it. When you bite into these muffins you will be surprised by the almond paste in the middle.
This recipe is based on Books, Bakings and Blogging her Spiced Speculaas Muffins with Almond Paste recipe and my recipe for crumb cake (I used the measurements for the cake from that and dubbled them for this recipe).
- Flour – 286 gram/ 2 cup
- Butter – 140 gram/ 10 tablespoons
- Sugar – 200 gram/ 1 cup
- Milk – 100 ml/ 1cup
- Egg – 2
- Scrambled Egg – 1/2
- Almond Paste – 90 gram/ 1 package/ 1 cup
- “Speculaas” Spices or Cinnamon powder – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Baking Powder – 1 1/2 teaspoon
- Baking Soda – 1/2 teaspoon
Here in the Netherlands “Speculaas” Spices is something you can buy in most grocery stores. If they don’t sell it in your country, you can either use cinnamon powder instead or make the mix yourself. You can make “Speculaas Kruiden” yourself by combining the following spices: 8 teaspoons cinnamon, 2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1 teaspoon cloves, 1 teaspoon cardemon, 1 teaspoon ginger, 1 teaspoon coriander powder and 1 teaspoon anice powder.
- Preheat your ovvn to 200 degress celcius/ 392 degrees fahrenheit.
- In a medium till large bowl combine the butter and sugar for the cake. Mix until fluffy and then add the 2 eggs. Mix till combined and then add the milk. Mix for a short while and then add the dry ingredients, salt, baking powder, baking soda, “Speculaas” spices and flour. Mix for a few minutes.
- Now make sure the almond paste is ready. Put the almond paste in a small bowl and add the half scrambled egg. Mix well until the almond paste is softer and can be rolled into tiny balls.
- Now assemble the muffins. Put muffin papers in a muffin tary or any other form. Scoop a spoonful of batter inside, so the bottom is covered. Repeat till all muffins forms are filled a bit. Then roll a smal ball of almond paste and place that on top of the batter. Repeat with all muffins. Then scoop more batter on top.
- Now bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes in the oven. Till a cake tester comes out dry. Then let the muffins cool down a bit and enjoy!
- “Speculaas” Muffins with crumble. After you made the dough, make the crumble in a small bowl. Combine: Flour (160 gram/ 1 cup and 2 tablespoons), Butter (113 gram/ 1/2 cup), Dark Brown Sugar (140 gram/ 2/3 cup), “Speculaas” Spices (2 teaspoons) and a pinch of salt. Mix well until crumbly and after assembling the muffins add the crumble mixture on top of every muffin and then put them in the oven.
- “Speculaas” Muffins with frosting Make your favourite frosting and put it on top of these muffins once they are done. I think a cinnamon frosting would work great for these.
- “Speculaas” Muffins with almonds. Before putting the muffins in the oven add some almonds on top of them.