Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts, tens list posts about food or recipes or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Designs.
I love crumb cake, I ate it years ago during a vacation and it’s the best! Soft cake with doughy crumbs on top, yum! Then once I started making apple crumble myself I remembered the cake, but only later found out what it was called. I’ve tried a few different recipes, until I found one I liked. It only takes 30 minute to prepare and then 30 minutes waiting time while it’s in the oven and then you have one yummy crumb cake. My boyfriend doesn’t like it, so that means I can eat it all myself.
This recipe is based on Cooking Classy her Crumb Cake Recipe.
For the crumbs
- Flour – 160 gram/ 1 cup and 2 tablespoons
- Butter – 113 gram/ 1/2 cup
- Light Brown Sugar – 74 gram/ 1/3 cup
- Granulated Sugar – 72 gram/ 1/3 cup
- Cinnamon – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
You can also just use one type sugar, it doesn’t taste much different.
For the Cake
- Flour – 143 gram/ 1 cup
- Butter – 70 gram/ 5 tablespoons
- Sugar – 109 gram/ 1/2 cup
- Milk – 50 ml/ 1/2 cup
- Egg – 1
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Baking Powder – 3/4 teaspoon
- Baking Soda – 1/4 teaspoon
- Vanilla Extract – 1 teaspoon
- Preheat your oevn to 200 degress celcius/ 392 degrees fahrenheit.
- First make the crumbs. In a medium bowl combine all the ingredients, make sure to cut the butter in small squares. Then combine with your hands till it has the texture of course sand, it’s okay if there are a few bigger clumbs. Set aside.
- Now in a medium till large bowl combine the butter and sugar for the cake. Mix until fluffy and then add the egg and the vanilla essence. Mix till combined and then add the milk. Mix for a short while and then add the dry ingredients, salt, baking powder, baking soda and flour. Mix for a few minutes.
- Now assemble the cake. Put some baking paper in a oven proof bowl and then spoon the cake batter inside. Make sure that the batter is equally thick everywhere. Then add the crumble on top.
- Now bake for 30-35 minutes in the oven. Till a cake tester comes out dry.
- Let it cool down for 30 minutes in the form and then move to a wire rack. When the cake is cooled down (or when it’s still warm) cut into pieces. Enjoy your crumble cake!
- Apple Crumble Cake Before adding the crumble on the cake add an apple dices in small pieces and then the crumble on top of that.
- Banana Crumble Cake Mix one mashed banana through the batter.
- Chocolate Crumble Cake Add 100 gram/ 3/4 cup chocolate chips through the batter and a tablespoon cacao powder through the crumble.