Lola’s Rambings is a feature on Lola’s Review where I talk about me. Usually these posts are everything that doesn’t fall under any standard header, like blog tours, book blitzes, cover reveals or reviews. Lola’s Ramblings posts are are personal discussions of a certain topic. Sometimes about book related topics and sometimes about non-book related topics. This feature was previously known as About Me. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Design.
Most bloggers spend at least some time on social media and we all know how seemingly hours seem to disapear when we spend soem time on social media. While I might not be the most social person, I still like social media and the different ways of connecting to people. I spend quite soem tiem each day on social. There are a lot of social media and I certainly prefer some over others. So I thought I would write a post about that, which social media sites I use and for what purposes.
Which social media sites do I use and for what?
- Facebook. Facebook is one of the first sites I open each morning. I like facebook as a way to follow my favourite authors, bloggers and even other pages like Shaun the Sheep or Bored Panda. A few times each I go back there and scroll through the new posts, check my notifications and send some lives to my mom and other friends who play a lot of those games like Candy cCrush. I also use the chat function to stay on contact with my mom and sister.
I am mostly a lurker, if I comment it’s probably in one of my facebook groups. The facebook groups are the thing I like most about facebook as it feels less public and more like a small group of friends or likeminded people, I find it easier to comment there. Sometimes when I have something to say or someone asks a question that’s easy to answer I comment as well. I don’t think it’s bad social media site, I still like being there. For promotion purposes it isn’t the best unless you pay, but I always figure that it doesn’t take that much time to share my posts there so why not do it. I actually follow quite some bloggers on facebook and quite regulary visit blogs because I’ve seen the blogger post on facebook. If I have new blog post I post about it on my Lola’s Reviews facebook page. If I have a new blog tour open for sign-up or a tour starting I post about it on facebook as well on my Lola’s Blog Tours page. Sometimes I add a picture of one of our rats to my personal facebook account, but recently I hardly ever post anything from my personal page anymore. Facebook was one of the first social media sites I started using and maybe that’s the reason I still use it a lot, it has become a habit.
- Twitter. I don’t spend as much time on twitter as one facebook, although I do use twitter a lot more than facebook when it comes to promotions. Again I don’t do a lot of random social stuff, but I do tweet frequently about my blog. On my Lola’s Reviews twitter account I often tweet about my blog posts multiple times a day, I often schedule them in advance each morning for the day ahead or when it comes to my Lola’s Ramblings and Lola’s Kitchen posts I often schedule them ahead on the sunday before. For my Lola’s Blog Tours twitter account I often schedule a week or two in advance and I try to tweet once a day, when I have a tour going on I also tweet about some stops. Twitter is the social media I use most for promotions. I like how fast and short everything is, but then again I hardly take time to sit still and scroll through my twitter feed, like I do with facebook. I do like things like twitter chats, but I find it hard to start a conversation there when it isn’t during a chat. I would like to spend more time on twitter connection with other bloggers or authors.
- Tsu. I use Tsu in mostly the same way as facebook although I don’t have tsu open all the day. I share my blog posts and new tours on Tsu and often use the exact same text as on facebook, I am sure it would be better to think of a new text, but there’s only so many ways you can say check out my review. So I decided to use the same text for tsu, google+ and facebook. I usually scroll through my Tsu feed once or twice a day. I like that Tsu seems more focussed on authors and bloggers and it’s nice to hang out there now and then. I also like it because my mom isn’t on there (yet). Although lately I’ve been using Tsu less and less, I share my posts there, do a quick scrol through my feed and close the tab again.
- Google +. Google plus is one of those social media that I have, but don’t actively use, but still enough to say I have use for it. I sometimes hear google+ can be important as it’s from google, so I always share my posts there too. Just the same text from facebook and Tsu that I copy and paste there and beside that I don’t use my google + account much. Some blogs require a google+ account to comment on their blog, so that’s why it’s handy. I also link it to the commenting system disqus, so I do use it a bit. I once was pretty active in a google+ group for Fate, a roleplaying game, but as I don’t play that anymore nowadays I also lost my interest in the group. I think google+ has a great concept, but it seems no one is there or being actively communicating there. It’s more sharing or +1’ing other people their posts or maybe it depends on the branch or topic you’re interested in?
- Pinterest. I love Pinterest, although it’s not as good for promotion purposes, I love finding new recipes and new pictures there. Most recipes I make I found on pinterest and I love that aspect of pinterest, it’s so handy to find countless of recipes. I often pin covers on there as well, I have a board for review, tours and cover reveals. For Lola’s Blog Tours I have a board for each type of tour I offer where I pin the banners or cover for each one. Once or twice ech week I spend some time on Pinterets scrolling through the pins and repinning some, unless it’s content from one of my sites I usually only repin content on pinterest. If I am wondering what to cook or bake I take a look at one of my food boards for inspiration.
- Goodreads. I used to spend hours on goodreads, nowadays I mostly use goodreads to keep track of what I read and to post my reviews. I also use my shelves to keep track of my books and sometimes go there when deciding what to read. I love having this social media site as it’s focussed on books and reading. All the books I want to read, read or have to review are on there and when I am looking up information about a book I always go to goodreads. I also use goodreads when I am deciding whether to add a book to my to-read list and often check out other people their reviews. I am part of a few groups and sometimes comment, but not a lot.
Favourite social media sites and where I spend the most time
My favourite social media site is probably Pinterest, I don’t spend the most time there though. I actually stay away most days from Pinterest because I know when I do get there it can easily suck up a bunch of my time. I’ve had a few of those instances where I am goign to look up a recipe and then half an hour later am still at pinterest, oops. It’s one of the few social media sites where I can spend a long time in a row. Most other social media sites involve scrolling through my feed until I’ve seen the new things. I think I spent the most time on facebook as I keep that tab open most of the day.
And while I use a lot of social media sites, I mostly use them to drive traffic to my blog, to promote other blogger’s their post and only sometimes to share personal news. I am not really social on social media. I share most of my personal news here on my blog weekly during my sunday posts, often I simply don’t think of sharing whatever I am doing. I would like to use social media in a more social manner, but it’s not routine yet.