Lola’s Ramblings is a feature on my blog Lola’s Reviews where I ramble on about a book related or a non-book related topic. These are discussion type of posts where I talk about a topic and readers can weigh in on the topic in the comments. Usually these posts are everything that doesn’t fall under any standard header, like tours, cover reveals, memes, challenges, recaps or reviews. Lola’s Ramblings posts are discussions of a certain topic and my point of view on them. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Designs.
Okay let me explain the title a bit more as it sounds a bit vague. Most authors have written or will write more than one book. If you read one book by an author will you check out their other books as well? Even if they don’t sound like your kind of book? Or what if the author writes multiple genres? Does having read one book by an author means you are more likely to pick up their other books? And on which factors does it depends on whether you’ll pick up their other books as well?
Do I read all books by an author?
In general if I have read one book by an author and enjoyed it (3-5 star rating) I am more likely to pick up their other books. I would say I am pretty author loyal and if I really enjoy a book I will check out the authors their other books and read them as well if possible and they sound good as well. If I enjoyed the book, but it didn’t leave a big impression on me I might not be in a hurry to check out an author their other books, but I am more open to reading more books by them. Ofcourse the more I enjoyed the book I did read the more likely I am to check out an author their other books. And as I read a lot of new to me authors each year, it still happens that by many of them I never read another book by again, so circumstances do play a role as well. If I really enjoy an author their books or would consider them one of my favourite authors I will likely read anything else by them if I can. There are some authors where I will read everything they write, not matter the genre or blurb. For some authors I don’t even read the blurb of their new books. Although these are most often the author where I’ve read multiple books by already, so I am more sure I will enjoy their other books as well.
On which factors does it depends whether I will read an author their other books?
- How many of their books have I read so far? The more books I have already read by an author and enjoyed the more likely I am to pick up more of their books. As it means I will likely enjoy those as well.
- Do their other books sounds like something I will enjoy as well? Whether I pick up another book by an author often depends on the blurb of the book as well, does it sound like a book I would enjoy? There are also authors where I really enjoyed the book or books I have read of them, but one of their books or series simply doesn’t sound like something I would enjoy so I won’t read it. It can also happen that I enjoy some books by an author and others not. So it does depends on what their other books are about whether I will pick them up or not.
- How much did I like their writing style? One of the most defining factors whether I will enjoy other books by the same author is often the writing style. If I really enjoy an author their writing style I am more likely to pick up their other books as it’s often one of the things that stays the same even across multiple books and genres. And often when I like an author their writing style that makes it more likely I will enjoy their other books as well.
- How much did I enjoy the book(s) that I did read? The more I enjoyed the book or books that I already read by an author the more likely I am to pick up another book. Although there are exceptions to this rule as well. There are books I really enjoyed and then never picked up another book by the author again or just lost interest for some reason.
- Can I easily get/ buy their other books? With this I mean that the easier it is to get other books by an author the mroe likely I am to actually buy and read them. If I read a book by and author and said author offers me another book for review or maybe I see it on netgalley or a freebie or sale I might be more likely to pick up one of their other books. While if it is less easy to get their other books I might be more reluctant or wait longer. Or I add their other books on my wishlist, but might not get them as soon.
- How many other books do they have? Sometimes it matters how many books an author has released. If I have read one book by an author and they have written only one or few others I might be more likely to read all of their books, simply because all of their books is less. There are authors that have written so many books I am less likely to read them all. Even if really enjoyed the books by that author that I read and would like to read more, it probably will take me ages to even make a dent in all the books that authorhas written. So I usually stick to getting the books I can through netgalley for example and continuing the series I already started.
- Which genre their other books are. If the books are in the same genre that usually means I am more likely to enjoy those as well. While on the other hand I also enjoy trying out different genres written by the same authors. And one of my favourite things is trying a new to me genre or a genre I am not as familiar with by reading a book from an author I already know. It’s like this fun mix of familiar and new to me. I usually like it when authors write multiple genres.
These are general trend there are always exceptions. Sometimes I simply forget about an author or don’t plan to read any of their other books for whatever reason. In many cases I like to read multiple books by the same author. If I find a new author I like and notice they have written more books, it always makes me happy as that means more books to read by the same author. And at the same time I read a lot of new to me authors each year, so while I like to read multiple books by an author I already have read an enjoyed books by, I am also willing to pick up books by authors I’ve never read books from before.