Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts, tens list posts about food or recipes or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Designs.
Today I don’t have a recipe post for you, but instead I am talking about cooking disasters. While often cooking goes right. I also have had my fair share of cooking didasters. Sometimes the recipe just isn’t for me, sometimes they need a lot more tweaking and other times I messed up. Sometimes the end results looks horrible, but is still edible. Unfortunately I don’t have pictures of all my disasters, but I do have pictures of some of them. I’ll try to remember to take pictures of my disasters for future disaster posts ;). The pictures are bewlo the item if I have a picture.
My Cooking Disasters
- Cauliflower Mash. This was a case were it just wasn’t a dish for me. I was going to make this as lunch during last year’s christmas for my boyfriend and I. I like this indian Cauliflower mash that involves potatoes and caulifower, but I hadn’t tried a cauliflower only mash. So I followed the instructions and when it was ready, I gave it a try and bleigh. It was realy bland and gross and we just threw the whole thing away and ate bread for lunch instead.
- Boston Cream Pie. I made this long before I started cooking and baking frequently. I think I just started blogging and I wanted to make an american pie. I stumbled upon this recipe for Boston cream pie and I had to give it a try. I am still not sure why I made it myself instead of asking my sister to make it, which was more normal for me to do at that time. But I gave this one a try, everything went pretty well. I made the cream and the pie was cooling down. Then I sliced the pie in two, so I could put the cream between it and it turned out it wasn’t fully baked in the middle and was all soft and fluidly still. I asked my sister for help and the only thing we could think of was put it back in the oven for longer. So we did. Eventually it was baked long enough and I finished the pie. And it actually turned out delicious, even though the dough was weird. So we managed to save that pie, even though it was one big disaster and the pie wasn’t as well done as could have been, the taste was still good. It also could’ve used a bit more chocolate topping, but hey at least it was yummy.
- Vegan Green Bean Casserole. This is one of those recipes that sounded good, until I actually made it. The sauce was bland and all it tastes like was cripsy fried onions. After a few bites we threw it out and ate instant noodles for dinner instead.
- Sweet Potato Casserole. This one wasn’t actually too bad, it involved sweet potatoes mash with sugar and then crumble on top. And it was way too sweet for dinner. I had already reduced the sugar and it was still way too sweet. It was a good idea, but it didn’t work out. I don’t mind when a dish is slightly sweet, but this one was too sweet for dinner for my taste.
- Lemon Meringue Pie. This one failed so badly it’s not even funny. The Blind baking went wrong, I put some rice on the bottom, but the sides still fell down, so it was just flat in the end. Then the meringue failed, because the egg whites didn’t get thick. So I decided to make it without the meringue. I made the lemon filling and then put on the crust and sliced it in pieces. I already noticed that the lemon filling was too soft and it sort of dripped of. Still optimistic I took a bite and ugh it was bitter. Not sure what I went wrong, but it was gross! The lemon filling didn’t taste sweet or lemony, but very bitter and disgusting. My boyfriend didn’t even gave it a try after seeing my reaction and in the trash bin the whole pie went. So I basically messed up the crust, lemon filling and the meringue, yeah no pie for me. This is one of the reasons why I hate making pie.
- Brownie Cookies. These turned out yummy. The only problem is, that it looked like I was trying to make very flat brownies instead of cookies. In this case a picture says more than thousand world. These are the brownie cookies:
- Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies. Let’s say that after these I run very hard to other way when I see flourless cookies being mentioned anywhere. Let’s say I definitely prefer my cookies with flour.
- Vanilla Cookies. My boyfriend his parents had bought vanilla powder for me and I wanted to make vanilla cookies. Let’s say these were a total failure. They looked weird, got flat and didn’t taste good. I actually tried a few other recipes and they just didn’t turn out. I gave up on experimenting with vanilla cookies then.
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies. They looked great, but tasted bland. A bit too bitter and not sugary enough. Too much cacao powder and too little sugar. Will need alot of tweaking if I ever dare to make these again. But they looked amazing!
- Japanese Curry. I spend 1.5 hours in the kichen for this and it failed horrible. The curry roux/ paste smelled horrible when I was making it and when I gave the curry a try, it tastes just as bad. Ugh it was so bad, so gross. I am not even sure where things went wrong, except for the curry roux. I am 100% sure something went wrong with the curry roux, but not sure what. We threw it out and had instant noodles for dinner. Let’s say I won’t be making this from scratch again soon. I’ll buy a package next time I want to make this.
- French Bread. One of the things I hate baking is bread, the waiting and all the opportunities for me to mess it up. I thought French Bread would be easy enough to make. I guess that was true, but I managed to mess this up by killing the yeast. The recipe said very warm water, which translated in my head as boiling water, I mean boiling water is very warm right? Right? I guess it was too warm as the yeast didn’t work. My dough didn’t rise at all. The taste was okay, but it was a hard flat chunk of bread, ouch! At least it still looks normal?