Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Design.
After my first time eating in an indian restaurant I was determined to try and make some indian recipes myself at home. My first try at an indian recipe was this Indian Cauliflower Mash, I used to say I am not a fan of cauliflower, but I realized it really depends on how you prepare it. I love cauliflower when combined with strong flavours.
This recipe is inspired by Spicie Foodie.
- Cauliflower – 1
- Potatoes – 4-6
- Onion – 1
- Green Peas – 150 gram/ 1 cup (optional)
- Garlic – 6 cloves (optional)
- Ginger – 1 inch piece fresh or two teaspoons ginger powder
- Turmeric – 2 tablespoons
- Masala or Garam Masala – 2 tablespoons
- Ground Corainder – 2 teaspoons
- Cumin – 2 teaspoons
- Low salt Bouillon cube – 1
- Mild Madras 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
- Olive Oil
- Red Chile – 1 (optional)
This recipe feeds about 5-6 people. It might not seem much, but it really fills well and we can usually eat two days from this. I usually serve with some sort of bread, like pita, naan or other flat bread. The mild madras can give this dish just a little bit of hot flavour without overdoing it, I don’t like spicy food so I usually substitute the red chile for mild madras.
btw don’t look at the picture too closely, I totally forgot to add the ginger, garlic and onion, oops. Imagine they are behind the spices 😉
- Peel the potatoes and slice in small pieces. Then slice the cauliflower in manageable pieces and throw both in a pan. Add water and boil for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, slice and dice the onion, garlic and ginger in small pieces.
- Then put all the spices in a small bowl and mix them.
- As soon as the cauliflower and potatoes have boiled for 20 minutes, drain the water and put aside. Then heat some oil in a pan and bake the onion, garlic and ginger until the onion is translucent.
- Now add the cauliflower and potatoes and mash them using a potato masher. You can leave some spices or mash them to a smooth mash.
- Add the spices and stir well. If adding green peas add those now as well.
- When everything is stirred well, remove from the fire and serve. You can now add the chile if you want to as topping. A variation tip is to put the Indian cauliflower mash on tortilla wraps.
Step 1 boil the cauliflower and potatoes
Step 3 add all the spices in on bowl
Step 4 bake the onion, garlic and ginger
Step 5: Mash it!
Close up of the spoon with mash
Total picture of the mash before I added the green peas
After adding the peas
And now let’s eat!