Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Design.
Today I am sharing the recipe for Chocolate Rocks. I can’t remember where we once found this recipe, if I remember correctly my sister learned it from a friend in high school. I translated the title directly from the Dutch term we use for this, which might sounds a bit weird, but I wasn’t sure what else to call them. This is basically cornflakes coated in chocolate and they are awesome. This recipe is easy and quick to make, the ingredients are cheap and the end result is delicious.
- Chocolate – 400 gram/ 2 1/4 cup
This only requires two ingredients, that’s it. You can use any type of chocolate for this recipe. I like to use a mix of 100 gram dark chocolate and 300 gram milk chocolate or 400 gram dark milk chocolate. but really any type will do, even white chocolate works or chocolate with nuts in them. For the cornflakes I don’t have an amount as you just keep on adding it until you have the right consistency.
- First we’re going to melt the chocolate. You can either melt the chocolate by putting it in the microwave. Put it in for 30 second, stir and repeat until it’s all melted. or you can melt it au bain marie. For this you need two pans. I use on normal pan and one saucepan. Make sure the smaller one fits into the other pan, but doesn’t hit the bottom. Then fill the biggest pan (the normal pan) with water and put it on the stove. Make sure the water boils. Then add the chocolate on the smallest pan, the one at the top and stir until the chocolate is molten.
- Now remove the pan with the chocolate from the heat and start adding the cornflakes. Just add in a handful or so at a time, stir until all the pieces are covered and then repeat. I usually keep trowing in cornflakes as long as I can keep covering all the pieces in chocolate and then stop once it becomes harder to keep all the cornflakes covered and you have a thick mass of cornflakes covered with chocolate in there. You can’t really mess it up by adding too little or too much cornflakes, the texture and taste will just differ slightly.
- Then pick a spoon and take a spoon full of the mixture and put it on the baking paper covered plate, making a sort of heap of the mixture. Scrap it of the spoon with another spoon. And repeat this till the plate is filled. Keep some space apart between the different heaps as else they merge together. I usually managed to fill 2 large plates.
- Put the plates with the chocolate rocks in the fridge for an hour or two. After that remove them from the fridge and you put them ina bowl instead for easier storing and eat them. You can store the elftovers for a few days in the fridge. make sure to store them in the fridge else they might melt again, especially in warmer weather.