Lola’s Rambings is a feature on Lola’s Review where I talk about me or ramble on about a book or non-book related topic. Usually these posts are everything that doesn’t fall under any standard header, like blog tours, book blitzes, cover reveals or reviews. Lola’s Ramblings posts are are personal discussions of a certain topic. Sometimes about book related topics and sometimes about non-book related topics. This feature was previously known as About Me. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Designs.
I collect bookmarks. I used to be more active in my collection efforts and haven’t added a lot new bookmarks to my collection recently, with the exception of free The Bookdepository bookmarks. Which are pretty cool too. Still I have a pretty nice collection and as I love bookmarks I thought I would show you some of my bookmarks and tell you a bit about them. When I was little I collected more things, but usually lost interest in a while and nowadays bookmarks are one of the few things I still collect.
Why I collect bookmarks
Before I got my e-reader I only read physical copies and as I hate damaging my books I always used a bookmark. I like to match my bookmarks with my book in some way or sometimes I just pick a random bookmark, but I quickly found myself collecting different bookmarks. I ordered a lot of books from the bookdepository and tried to collect all the different bookmarks you get with your books. The first bookmarks I get from a type goes into my picture album which serves as bookmark collection map and the second bookmark of the same type is free to use. I am very careful with my bookmarks and try to keep them in great condition, just like my books. When I am traveling I take a not special bookmark and make sure the end don’t peak out from my book.
I like how many varieties of bookmarks there are, there are the normal rectangular shaped bookmarks, but also bookmarks that don’t even look like bookmarks, but work just as well. I also like how even the normal rectangular ones can look very different depending on what’s on them. I have quite a few bookmarks brought on vacation, like one from Scotland and one of the Berlin wall.
It wasn’t really a conscious decision to start collecting bookmarks. I picked up bookmarks that looked cool and before I knew it I had a nice collection. Eventually I started looking for a place to store them in and I think it was my mom who came up with the idea to store them in a picture album. Only when I bought the picture album to keep my bookmark collection in, I started labeling it a collection.
My Bookmark collection
- Bookmark Sprout. This is one of my favourite bookmarks. It looks like a tiny sprout, is green and it works great. I often use this one when reading physical books nowadays as it’s just so cute to see the sprout peeking out from the book. I love nature and I like how this one doesn’t look like a bookmarks, but works just as well. It’s an awesome bookmarks as it looks so original and it works just as good as a normal bookmark.
- Purple Book Thong. This is the only book thong I own. If I remember correctly I once won it thanks so a giveaway on a bloggers blog. It’s very pretty. It is a bit harder to use as it peeks out from both sides of your book and you have to be careful when putting the book down that it doesn’t lie on one of the ends. I do really like the colours and style of these bookmarks though and how it’s clear from all sides how far you are with the book.
- Shaun the Sheep bookmark. I think my boyfriend once bought this for me. I am a big Shaun the sheep fan so this bookmark makes me happy. It’s the type of bookmark that is magnetic and you can pull the two pieces apart and then put a page between it. Not my favorite style bookmark, but having a sheep pop out above your book makes up for that.
- Corner Bookmarks. I once got these cute bookmarks from a fellow blogger. I’ll have to search for them as I am not sure where I put them when we moved to this house. They are quite handy, you basically shove them on the corner of a page and it looks like they are eating your book page. They are adorable and handy.
- Bookmark Carpet. While it’s a bit thick for a bookmark, I love the design and how it’s soft. The texture is great and it looks like a little carpet. I’ve seen these as mouse pads, but when I saw them as bookmark design, I just had to have one.
- Doggy Bookrest. This is technically a bookrest and not a bookmark, but it does have a bookmark attached to it. You can lean your book against the pyramid form and use the tail as a bookmark. I’ve used it a few times and while it is a bit big, it is comfy to have your book be able to lean against the bookrest. Usually I just use my own leg for that purpose, so the doggy bookrest doesn’t see much use, but I still love it. I recently used it twice with hardcopies and it works great for that as those books are quite heavy and the bookrest helps with handling them and makes for easier reading. This was a birthday present from my boyfriend once and it’s just just so cute!
- Kelley Armstrong signed bookmarks. I don’t think I ever used these bookmarks, but I am really happy with them. They are from one of my favorite series the Otherworld and show drawings of some of the characters. Most of them are exactly like I had in mind and it’s nice to have a visual of characters. And Kelley Armstrong is one of my favorite authors so I am happy to have something signed by her.
- Harry Potter Golden Snitch bookmark. I mean how awesome is this bookmark. I don’t think I have ever used it, but it is so pretty! I bought here on etsy. Featuring the iconic golden snitch from the harry potter series, I just couldn’t resist buying this one and it was pretty affordable. That’s my dutch copy of the second Harry Potter book on the picture, one of my few battered looking books.
- Snake Corner bookmark. This snake bookmark was a Christmas present from my sister if I remember correctly. It only works well on hardcopies, as paperback copies aren’t heavy enough and it will slip out. So it’s really unhandy, but it’s just looks awesome. The snake is flat in the middle and it looks like it got squashed between the book pages. When I am reading a hardcopy I try and use this one.
- Photo album with bookmarks. I once bought a photo album in which I keep and display my bookmarks. Below are two pictures of two of the pages of The Bookdepository bookmarks. I try and collect them and order them on year and then on the bookmark numbers. I don’t think I have managed to collect them all in a year as I always seem to get the same ones, but that’s okay. Most of my bookmarks fit into this book or lie on one of my shelves.
- Swag and book related bookmarks. I also have a lot of swag bookmarks. Some of books I have never heard about and others of books I enjoyed, like the Camp Boyfriend bookmarks below, which are some of my favourite bookish bookmarks, because of the colored friendship bracelet on the top.
- Berlin Wall bookmark. I bought this bookmark when I visited Berlin, it should contain a real piece of the Berlin Wall. Not sure sure if that’s true, but I like the idea of having a piece of history in a bookmark. It was so cool to see a bookmark with a piece of stone, I just had to have this one.
- Others. Those are some of my most outstanding or weirder bookmarks, but beside those I still have a lot more of them, below are a few more pictures of some bookmarks. The first pictures features the following bookmarks: one with penguins (one of my favourite animals), one with german phrases from english to german, so fun to have a translation bookmark and one with a fea or fearie like creature which I thought was pretty. The second picture features a bookmark made by a dutch doujinshi circle (amateur manga producers) which my sister got for me on a anime convention and it has a cupcake and I love my sweets so it fits and the other two are two book thong like bookmarks, which are really pretty and have a ball on one end.