Lola’s Ramblings is a feature on my blog Lola’s Reviews where I ramble on about a book related or a non-book related topic. These are discussion type of posts where I talk about a topic and readers can weigh in on the topic in the comments. Usually these posts are everything that doesn’t fall under any standard header, like tours, cover reveals, memes, challenges, recaps or reviews. Lola’s Ramblings posts are discussions of a certain topic and my point of view on them. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Designs.
As at the end of the year I often do a top ten new to me authors post I thought it would be interesting to list the different ways I hear about new to me authors and might give their books a try. There are quite some different ways to meet new to me authors and every year I try out a lot of books by new to me authors, so i thought this would make for an interesting topic. I think last year about one third or more of my books was by a new to me author. So yes I read a lot of new to me authors each year and am not hesitant to try out books by authors I don’t know yet.
How do I discover new to me authors?
- Netgalley. It’s only fitting to list this on the top as most of the new to me authors I discover lately come through netgalley. I often visit netgalley and check the recently added books and if a book catches my attention I might request it. Sure I do request books by authors I know, but also a lot by authors I haven’t heard of before, because their book sounds good.
- Review requests. Same as with netgalley I get a lot of review requests from authors I don’t know yet and I found quite some new to me authors thanks to review requests.
- Reviews and blog posts. I like to visit other blogs and thanks to their posts I hear about authors I hadn’t heard of before and might eve decide to give a new to me author a try if their books sound good. These posts can be everything from book hauls to challenge recaps or update posts, top ten lists to blog tours or reviews. I’ve tried books by a new to em author simply because I saw one of their books on a blog and it sounded good.
- Recommendations. Either recommendations from other bloggers or reviewers or Goodreads lists of recommendations that show up when visiting a book page and it recommends other books I might be interested in or sometimes more general recommendation type of posts. Recommendations can be a good way to try a new to me author as either someone else thinks I might enjoy that author or they are similar to authors or books I already know.
- Goodreads Lists. Normally I don’t look a lot at Goodreads lists, but recently I have taken a bit of a liking to them and sometimes check them out. They can be handy if you’re looking to a specific book or genre, in my case they came in handy when finding books in a new to me genre like cozy mysteries. I recently added some cozy mysteries books to my to-read list as I saw them on a Goodreads list, namely this 2016 Cozy Mystery new releases list.
- Anthologies. Anthologies are often a fun way to read stories by authors I already know and by authors I don’t know yet. And as anthologies are often cheap it’s also an affordable and easy way to try out a new to you author. Another nice thing is that anthologies often include novella’s, so you can get a bit of a feel for that author and their writing style and check out some of their other books if you like what you read.
- Through authors I already know. Sometimes authors I already know recommend or promote books by other authors. Or I join a Facebook parties for an author I already know or because I got invited by an author I know to a facebook party from an author I don’t know yet and sometimes decide to give one of their books a try. I also have received a few authors newsletters where they recommend new to me authors.
- Freebies or Discounted books. I pick up some free or discounted books if they sound interesting. Sometimes other bloggers list them and I receive e-mails form Bookbub with freebies and discounted books. It’s a nice and cheap way to try out a new to me author.
- Authors who book a tour with me. Quite often it happens that authors who I haven’t heard about book a tour with Lola’s Blog Tours and if their book sounds good I might add it to my to-read list and I even met some new to me authors this way.