Lola’s Rambings is a feature on Lola’s Review where I talk about me. Usually these posts are everything that doesn’t fall under any standard header, like blog tours, book blitzes, cover reveals or reviews. Lola’s Ramblings posts are are personal discussions of a certain topic. Sometimes about book related topics and sometimes about non-book related topics. This feature was previously known as About Me. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Design.
Household chores are one of the things everyone has to do, but everyone has a few chores which we mind les then others. I remember someone once asking me which household chore I hated doing most and I thought it would be fun to list chores I don’t mind doing and chores I avoid. And ofcourse I am curious to hear which chores you don’t mind or avoid ;).
Household Chores I don’t mind doing
- Cooking. Actually most days I love cooking. Sometimes if a day has been busy and I feel stressed I can feel a bit annoyed at having to stand in the kitchen for a hour as it seems to take up so much time, but most days I don’t mind. Usually I even enjoy the break, I sit behind my computer a lot and to do something really different like cooking is a nice change. I also love experimenting and trying out new recipes. It’s fun to spent time making somethign and then having the chance to eat it. There just something satisfying about cooking.
- Doing the Laundry. I do the laundry once in the two days and most of the times I don’t mind doing the laudnry. Sure it takes some time, but it’s not an annoying chore. And I love the smell of fresh laundry! The only thing I can’t stand is folding bed sheets, mine always look like a monstrosity instead of a neatly folded bed sheet. My mom showed me how to fold them, I watched tutorials and still every time I try to fold those damned things it just doesn’t work. I fold them so badly they don’t even fit into our closet and they are piled up next to our bed instead.
- Cleaning the rat cage. While cleaning the rat cage takes a lot of time it is a fun task. I spend apporixmately a total of 4 hours on cleaning the rat cage, I have Tuesday scheduled as rat cage cleaning day and that’s the reason I often don’t post on tuesday as I have less time to promote my posts. I usually don’t look forward to cleaning the rat cage as it takes so much time, but as soon as I am working on it I don’t mind as much. I like thinking of new ways to arrange the things in their cage or new items to put into their cage. And it’s really satistfying when the cage is clean and the rats are clean. And then when the rats enter their clean cage and go explore it and eat, it’s so fun to see them being all exicted and happy with their clean cage.
- Cleaning my desk. I don’t do this often, but when I clean my desk I love how clean it looks afterwards. I don’t mind having a cluttered desk, but once in a while it rubs me wrong and I just have to get everything off my desk, clean it and put everything back. It always looks so clean and less cluttered even though the same things are on it.
- Grocery shopping. Not sure why, but I don’t mind grocery shopping. It’s one of the only times I get out of the house and I kinda enjoy walking through the store and buying the things we need for next week. I do have to be carefull and keep our budget in mind, so it’s not like I can buy everything I want, but searching for discounts is fun in it’s own way as well.
Household Chores I avoid
- Vacuum Cleaning/ cleaning the floor. If there’s one chore I hate it’s vacuum cleaning. The sound the annoyance, ugh! I am so happy my boyfriend doesn’t mind vaccum cleaning, so he usually does that chore. I have pretty sensitive ears and I always got annoyed at the loud sound the vacuum cleaner makes. Also in general I just can’t stand this chore, the cable is too short, get’s stuck behind something or I bump into something. I always feel so clumsy when I am vaccum cleaning. The vaccum cleaner and me just don’t work well together.
- Doing the dishwasher. I used to avoid this taks and even though I do it every day now I still don’t like it. I am not sure why exactly. Now it’s part of my routine I don’t mind it as much as I used to do and the good thing about unloading the dishwasher is that I can make sure that everything’s where it’s supposed to be.
- Cleaning the Stove. Not sure why, but I just hate this task. Even though I love cooking, the stove usually looks terrible. I just don’t want to clean it and procrastinate as long as possible. I am happy when it’s clean though.
- Repairing/ fixing things. I am not a handy or tehcnical person and if something’s broken or a light bulb needs to be changed I usually ask someone else to do this. Often either my boyfriends fixes it and if he can’t then we ask either my boyfriend’s dad or my mom’s husband.
Here at our house we have a pretty set division of chores. I do the cooking, laundry, the dishwasher and grocery shopping; my boyfriend does most of the cleaning; and my sister takes out the trash and get’s the post from the mailbox. I am fiercely protective of my chores and the space they require. I kinda see the kitchen and scullery (where the dishwahser and washmachine is) as my domain and I can’t stand it when something isn’t where it’s supposed to be. I also don’t like when others try to interfere with my chores, although usually that won’t happen as it’s pretty clear who does what.