Lola’s Ramblings is a feature on my blog Lola’s Reviews where I ramble on about a book related or a non-book related topic. These are discussion type of posts where I talk about a topic and readers can weigh in on the topic in the comments. Usually these posts are everything that doesn’t fall under any standard header, like tours, cover reveals, memes, challenges, recaps or reviews. Lola’s Ramblings posts are discussions of a certain topic and my point of view on them. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Designs.
Earlier this year I saw this birthday tag on Kristen’s blog and it sounded so much fun I just had to do it for my birthday. And as it’s my birthday this week I am now finally sharing this post with you. I made this posts months ago already. This tag is started by Kristen from Metaphors and Moonlight. You can see her post here.
Here’s how the tag works:
For this tag, you just need to choose five different books. Then, for each question, you open the corresponding book to a random page and follow the instructions for the answer. At the end, tell us how well you think your party turned out!
- Summer Haikus by SJ Pajonas
- Locked Tight by Susan Kaye Quinn
- Love, Lies and Hocus Pocus: Revelations by Lydia Sherrer
- Dark, Witch and Creamy by HY Hanna
- Scandal by Athena Grayson
I went with 5 books I read this year and were some of the best books I read so far. Except for Summer Haikus, but I am hoping that will serve as a self fulfilling prophecy and by listing it here I’ll end up re-reading it this year. I actually haven’t re-read Summer Haikus yet, but I am still hoping I can fit it in somewhere this year.
1. Open Book 1 – The first character name on the page is the one who plans the surprise party.
Reiko. I actually didn’t remember this side character, so I had to look her up. She’s the receptionist of the ryokan in this book. I figure she would do well planning the surprise party. She seems pretty organized.
2. Open Book 2 – The first character name on the page is the one who ruins the surprise early (either by accidentally mentioning it or by telling you on purpose because they can’t keep a secret).
Aaliyah. It’s a character who runs a safe house in the book. I figure she might have pity on me and tell me because I am usually don’t really appreciate surprises.
3. Open Book 3 – Wherever the current scene takes place will be the location of the party (as specific as possible, e.g. a person’s house, a grocery store, the middle of a forest, etc.).
Madam Barington’s kitchen. Sure that would be a good location for a party. I am surprised I actually got a house out of this. And I like kitchens so that seems like a good place for a party.
4. Open Book 4 – The first character name on the page is the one who bakes the cake.
Widow Mags. That’s the best possible option I could get from this book. I am so happy! I imagine I will get a rich chocolate cake with a bit of magic in it. Yum! The chocolates in this series always sound delicious.
5. Open Book 5 – The first character name on the page is the one who sticks their finger in the icing when no one is looking.
Teshi. Hmm I can’t imagine her doing this, but maybe in the right situation. This whole book is about scandal and the right societal norms and I figured putting your finger in the icing wouldn’t be approved. But who knows, maybe if she can get away with it.
6. Open Book 1 – The first character name on the page is the one who buys trick candles (those kinds that never go out).
Isa. The main character of this book, it’s a wonder I actually got her name in a first person perspective book! She’s awesome, so I am glad she’ll be attending my party. Not sure if I would see her buying the trick candles, but who knows.
7. Open Book 2 – The first noun on the page that is a tangible object is the first gift you open.
Helmet. Uhm okay. In this book it’s actually an anti-jacking helmet. Hey if jacking becomes real at least I am protected.
8. Open Book 3 – The first character name on the page is the one who puts on the dorky party hat.
Lily. Hmm maybe if Sebastian convinces her to do that. Lily and I seem pretty similar in certain personality aspects, so it would be fun to meet her.
9. Open Book 4 – The first noun or adjective (whatever works) on the page is what the party theme will be.
Coy. The next word would be romantic. Not sure what kind of theme that would be for a party. I really picked the wrong scene for this, lol. This book only has a small romance side plot, but ofcourse I seem to land on the only romance scene in the book, oops.
10. Open Book 5 – The first noun on the page that is a tangible object is what the pinata will be filled with.
Drone. So I get a pinata filled with drones? That would be kinda cool!
How Did the Party Turn Out?
Overall I am pretty happy with how my party turned out. A receptionist plans my party. The party takes place in a kitchen from a nice character. I get to meet Lily and Isa, who are two of my favorite characters. I have someone who spoils the secret so that I am not surprised and I get drones from the pinata and an helmet as present. That doesn’t sound too bad. Bets part of all? Widow Mag is making my cake! Yum that will be a delicious magical chocolate cake. I am just not sure about the party theme of coy or romantic, but hey I am sure it works.