Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts, tens list posts about food or recipes or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Designs.
I found this recipe in the Allerhande, which is a monthly magazine from the supermarket where I do most of my grocery shopping. The name of the recipe caught my attention as it was a vegatarian recipe and it sounded yummy, so I gave it a try. It’s a bit like Shepherd’s pie, but the sauce is a bit different and instead of mashed potatoes it has cooked sweet potatoes on top. It takes some time to prepare, but it’s really good. I tweaked the sauce a bit, so it has more flavour.
This recipe is based on Allerhande their Vegapie met vegagehakt (dutch recipe)
- Sweet potatoes – 3-4
- Red Bell Pepper – 2
- Carrots – 2 big ones
- Celery – 2 stalks
- Onion – 1
- Garlic – 4
- Vegetarian Minced meat – one package or about 300-400 gram
- Water – 0,5 liter/ 2 cups
- Bouillon cubes – 2
- Thyme – 3 teaspoons
- Paprika powder – 3 teaspoons/li>
- Cayenne Pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Onion powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon powder – 1 teaspoon
- Ajowan – 3/4 teaspoon
- Olive Oil
- Cornstarch – around 4 teaspoons (optional)
- Peel the sweet potatoes (optional). Then slice then in small slices and cook the for about 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime slice and dice the other veggies, the onion, garlic, carrots, celery and red bell pepper. Bake the onion and garlic in a big wok until the onion is translucent.
- Then add the rest of the veggies. Preheath the oven now to 200 degrees celcius/ 392 degrees fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl combine the spices, bouillon cubes, cinnamon, paprika, ajowan, thyme, onion and cayenne pepper. Then add the water and the spices to the wok and stir well.
- Let the veggies cook for about 10 minutes. Preheath the oven at 200 degrees celcius/ 392 degrees fahrenheit. Once the veggies are almost done add the vegetarian minced meat. And the cornstarch mixed with some water (optional).
- Once the veggies and sweet potatoes are cooked long enough, remove them from the fire. In a big oven proof bowl pour the sauce. Then carefully put the sweet potatoes on top of it.
- Put it in the oven for about 10 minutes, then remove the bowl from the oven and enjoy your Vega Pie.
- Meaty Pie. Instead of making a vega version you can ofcourse add real minced meat instead.
- Vega Pie with normal potatoes. Instead of sweet potatoes you can also use normal potatoes.
- Vega Pie with mashed potatoes. Instead of cooking the potatoes you can also mash them afterwards and put them on top.
- Vega Pie with cheese on top. Like in the original recipe you can put some cheddar cheese on top of the potatoes before putting the dish in the oven.