Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Design.
While there are lot of things I do eat and enjoy, I am also a picky eater and there are a lot of things I don’t like and stay far away from. As I normally talk about food I like, I thought it would be interesting to talk about food I don’t like for a chance. I am sure there are more things then the ten I listed here, but these were the first to come to mind.
Ten Foods I don’t like
- Honey. While I love sweet things, honey is a big no for me. The taste is horrible and I don’t like dishes or sweets with a lot of honey. I have made a few dishes were honey was only a small ingredient and you don’t really taste it, then I am okay with it. But tea with honey or deserts with honey, uhm no.
- Brussels Sprouts.Ugh the taste of these things is horrible. Here in the Netherlands it’s sort of common for people to not like them, so my sister and I always thought we didn’t like them. When we tried them once my sister loved them, but I really didn’t like them. So after that moment at least I could say for sure I didn’t like these. It doesn’t matter in what kind of dish they are, I just don’t like them.
- Chili Peppers. I don’t deal well with spicey food, it’s not that I have anything against it, but my mouth just burns away. So I am not a fan of chili pepers. I might throw in some cayenne pepper or sambal badjak in my dishes now and then, but only a tiny bit. Large amounts of this stuff in my dish simple make it unedible for me. I have eaten a few dishes mostly made by other people that I couldn’t eat because it was too hot.
- Chicory Vegetable. Hope I translated that right. I never liked this and my mom always cooked something different for me when she and my sister ate this. Blegh.
- Chick Peas. When in a dish I can sometimes be okay with these, but most often I try to eat as little as possible. Just not for me, again a combination of gross texture and taste that makes this a no go for me.
- Kiwi Fruit. Ever since I was a kid I didn’t like kiwi fruit. My sister loves the and when we were younger she always said they brought good luck so I would ate one piece. I always quickly ate something after it as I just don’t like the taste at all and then there’s that horrible texture which makes my mouth feel all weird. Nope sorry no kiwi for me.
- Olives. Another one of those things that my boyfriend likes, but I don’t. They taste so strong and gross, I have tried them a few times and I just can’t get used to the taste.
- Champignons. This one makes my life difficult sometimes as it seems everyone assumes that if you’re a vegetarian you must eat mushrooms, not sure why. And lots of vegetarian dishes or vega burgers contains champignons. And I just don’t like champignons, the worst thing is the texture, I just can’t stand it. The taste is kinda okay, but not great. So yeah I avoid champignons at all costs, sometimes I throw them in a dish after I took my own portion out or I made two versions as my boyfriend likes champignons/
- Advocado. I can’t stand the taste and the structure. I never really ate this until in a semi fancy restaurant during a vacation with my boyfriend. We both had never ate it and then we got a salad with advocade and we gave it a try and we both couldn’t eat more than one piece. I felt a bit bad to eat everything from the salad, except for the advocade, but ugh it was gross. I don’t think I ever ate advocado after that. I did once buy avocado afterwards as our rats seem to love it.
- Salmon. While I am not a fish person by any stretch of the word, salmon tops the list of fish I avoid. I just can’t stand the taste, I think salmon is gross.