Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Design.
While I like lasagna, the first time I tried to make it went horrible wrong, so I never did dare another try for fear of messing up. Then I came across a recipe for Lasagna soup and I knew I had to give this a try, it also sounded way easier than normal lasagna. A few tweaks later I gave it a try, I was a bit sceptical, but it turned out really well. This Lasagna soup tastes like lasagna, but is easy to eat in soup form and while it was a rich tomato flavour the soup is tinner than a normal pasta sauce.
This recipe is based on Cooking Classy her Lasagna Soup Recipe.
- Red Bell Pepper- 2
- Onion – 1
- Garlic – 4
- Lasagna noodles – 8 / 6.5 oz
- Bouillon cubes – 2
- Water – 1 liter – 1,25 liter/ 4-5 cups
- Tomato – 1
- Tomato Paste – 70 gram/ 2 1/2 tablespoon
- Can diced tomatoes – 1 can/ 400 gram/ 14.5 oz
- Can sieved or crushed tomatoes – 1 can/ 350 gram/ 14.5 oz
- Minced meat or vegetarian minced meat – 175 gram/ 6-10 oz
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Thyme – 3 teaspoons
- Oregano – 3 teaspoons
- Fennel – 1/2 teaspoon
- Parsley – 2 teaspoons(optional)
- Cheese – to taste (optional)
- Black Pepper – to taste (optional)
This recipe feed about 4-5 people. Also while I use 3 different types of tomato I am not sure if it really matters what you use as long as there’s a lot of tomatoes in it. Preferably some in pieces and some pureed/ concentrated. It hs a lot of ingredients, but it is easy to make, you basically put everything in one pan and cook.
- Slice and dice the garlic, onion, red bell pepper and the tomato.
- Then heat some olive oil in a big pan and bake the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent.
- Now add the red bell pepper, the tomato and the water with bouillon cubes (I use low salt vegetable bouillon cubes).
- Stir a bit and now add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes and the seived tomatoes.
- Mix the spices together; sugar, thyme, oregan and fennel. And add those to the soup as well. Let it cook for 20 minutes.
- If using minced meat bake the meat now till it’s brown. If you use vegetarian minced meat skip this step, it only needs to be warm, no need to warm it before it goes into the soup.
- While the soup is cooking prepare the lasgna noodles, dice them in small squares or bitesize pieces.
- When the soup has cooked for 20 minutes add the lasagna noodles and minced meat or vegetarian minced meat and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Scoop the soup in bowl and enjoy!
Bake the onion and garlic
Add the red bell pepper
Mixng the spices
The soup after adding water and spices
The soup after adding the tomato ingredients
Dicing the lasagna noodles
Diced, bitesize pieces of lasagna noodles
Add the (vegetarian) minced meat and the lasagna noodles
- Vary with veggies. Instead of red bell pepper you can also add different veggies like mushrooms, carrots or lentils to the soup.
- Chicken lasagna soup. Instead of minced meat use chicken, slice and dice the chicken into tiny pieces and bake before adding them to the soup in step 8.
- Cheesy lasgana Soup. Like Cooking Classy her Lasagna Soup Recipe you can add multiple types of cheese to your soup. She recommend 1 1/4 cups mozzarrella, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and 8 oz ricotta cheese. Mix the cheeses beforehand and after step 8 add the cheese to the soup and let melt or add it in your soup bowl and let it melt in the microwave.