Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts, tens list posts about food or recipes or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Designs.
Here in the Netherlands we call this dish “Wentelteefjes”, it’s bread drenched in egg or egg and milk mixture and then baked. I first ate this dish when as a kid I was having a sleepover at a friend of mine and as breakfast she made this, I really liked it and after that made it now and then for myself as well. If I make it I usually make it as lunch though, but you can eat it any moment of the day. It’s quite easy to prepare, really tasty and you only need a few ingredients. You can also use slightly old bread for this that isn’t as tasty anymore to eat, just make french toast with it and you won’t notice the bread was a bit old. You can eat it with cinnamon sugary on top, but I prefer the salty version usually.
- Bread – 2 slices
- Egg – 3
- Milk – a tablespoon(optional)
- Salt – a pinch
- Olive Oil
You also need a broad and flat bowl if you have one. Instead of olive oil you can also bake the french toast in some butter.
- Break the eggs in a broad bowl and with a fork scramble the eggs lose. Add the milk (optional). Then add the salt.
- Pick up the first slice of bread and put it in the bowl with eggs, leave it there for a minute or so, then turn it around. Make sure the egg coats every part of the bread.
- Heat some oil (or butter) in a broad pan. Once the oil is hot put the slice of bread in the pan. Then put the second slice in the egg and add that to the pan as well.
- Bake this on low fire for about 5 minutes on each side. Make sure the french toast doesn’t burn, but it is okay if it has a few light brown spots. If you want to make sure it’s done, you can slice one of the slices in two to see if it’s dry on the inside.
- Then put the french toast on a plate and enjoy. You can also slice the slices in tiny squares to make it easier to eat.
- Sweet French Toast. Don’t add the salt to the egg. Instead once the french toast is done add some cinnamon sugar on top.