Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Design.
I think this is the first Lola original recipe I share on the blog. Usually I just find a recipe somewhere, make it and tweak it. With this recipe I came up with the idea, found recipes on the internet, but instead of using a recipe I sort of put it together from my own ideas and what I saw on the internet. Basically I wanted a slightly salty, creamy, pesto tasting spinach sauce to serve with pasta. It took me a few tries, but I think it’s great now! It’s easy to make, contains lots of vegetables and has a creamy and slightly salty taste.
- Creamy frozen Spinach – 1 kg/ 4 cups
- Red bell pepper – 3
- Onion – 1
- Creme Fraiche/ greek yoghurt/ Alpro Soy Cousine – 250 ml/ 1/2 cup
- Pesto – 3 heaped teaspoons
- Low salt vegetable Bouillon Cube – 2
- Water – optional
- Olive Oil
I usually serve it with spinach flavored pasta, like spinach tortellini, which I did for today’s post. I used about 250 gram pasta, which is fresh. I think with dried pasta it’s about 75-100 gram per person. You can also it eat it with any type of pasta. With pasta this recipes serves 3-4 people.
- Slice and dice the onion and red bell pepper.
- Heat the oil and then bake the onion till translucent.
- Add the red bell pepper, stir well and bake for 5- 10 minutes.
- If you serve it with pasta make sure to start cooking the pasta around now. To the sauce add the frozen spinach, pesto and the bouillon cube. Stir until mixed well.
- Now add the crème fraiche, stir and let it cook for a few more minutes until the pasta is ready as well.
Sliced and diced paprika, I like to slice them in really small pieces.
Close up of the frozen spinach
Add the paprika
Add the pesto and bouillon cube
Add the creme fraiche
Boiling the pasta
Close up of the creamy spinach sauce
Creamy Spinach sauce