Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts, tens list posts about food or recipes or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Designs.
As October rolled around I decided I wanted to try a few more pumpkin recipes, after using half a butternut sqaush pumpkin for a risotto I decided to make cookies from the other half. I cooked the pumpkin and made puree and then found a good sounding recipe. These pumpkin cookies have a subtle, but present pumpkin flavour. The cookies are soft and chewy. I decided to roll mine in cinnamon sugar and I think that was a great decision I think as the cinnamon works well together with the pumpkin flavour. If you want to try out some fall flavoured cookies these are a good place to start!
This recipe is based on Wine and Glue her Pumpkin Sugar Cookies Recipe
- Pumpkin puree – 120 gram/ 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 300 gram/ 1 1/2 cup
- Flour – 312 gram/ 2 1/2 cups
- Butter – 200 gram/ 1 3/4 stick
- Egg yolk – 1
- Vanilla Extract – 2 teaspoons
- Baking Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cinnamon – 1/2 teaspoon
- Extra sugar (190 gram) and cinnamon (1/2 teaspoon) for rolling
For the pumpkin puree you can use a can pumpkin puree or make it yourself. If you want to make it yourself you need a bit less than half a pumpkin, slice and dice it in small squares and then cook for about 25-30 minutes. After that blend it to a smooth puree.
This recipe makes around 45 cookies.
- In a big bowl combine the molten butter with the sugar and mix well.
- Then add the pumpkin puree, vanilla extract and the egg yolk and mix till combined.
- At last add the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Mix for a few minutes.
- Put the bowl in the fridge for a little bit, while you preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius/ 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Once the oven is warmed up, remove the bowl with dough from the fridge. In a small flat bowl combine sugar and cinnamon. Roll a small ball of the dough and roll it through the cinnamon sugar. Then place the cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet with space between them.
- Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes and let cool down for a bit before eating them. You can make about 3 batches with this recipe, so around 45 cookies.
- Enjoy your cookies!
- Pumpkin Cookies without cinnamon sugar. If you don’t like cinnamon, you can also make these without rolling them in cinnamon sugar.
- Pumpkin Cookies with sugar. Instead of rolling the cookies in cinnamon suagr, you can also roll them only in sugar.
- Pumpkin Cookies with Frosting If you want to add a little touch to your cookies you can make any frosting you like for on top. I recommend a cinnamon flavoured frosting.
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies. Add about 150 gram oats to this recipe to make these into pumpkin oatmeal cookies.
- Pumpkin Pecan Cookies. Add about 150 gram pecan nuts to this recipe to make these into pumpkin pecan cookies.
- Pumpkin cookies with frosting. Love your cookies with frosting? You can make some pumpkin cinnamon frosting for on top of these.