Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Design.
I like banana’s, they are one of my favourite fruits, but I am also really picky. I like my banan’s when they aren’t quite ripe yet and still have have that green coloured skin, but once they are too ripe I don’t want them anymore. So one days I had some banana’s to spare which were too ripe for my taste and I didn’t want to just throw them away, so I came up with the idea to make muffins from them. And crumble topping makes it everything better, after a quick pinterest search I found a recipe for banana muffins and gave them a try. I used the crumble topping I already perfected for my apple crumble recipe instead of the crumble of the original recipe. After one try I knew this was worthy to get featured on the blog. I love the combination of the sweet banana flavoured muffins with the crumbly buttery topping. These muffins really taste like banana and that’s no surprise when you realize there are 4 banana’s needed for this recipe, I have make a few banana bakings that didn’t really tasted like banana, but these muffins have a rich banana flavour.
This recipe is based on How to Simplify their Banana Muffins with Curmb Topping
- Banana – 4
- Flour – 187 gram / 1 1/2 cup
- Butter – 76 gram/ 1/3 cup
- Sugar – 150 gram / 3/4 cup
- Baking Soda – 1 teaspoon
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Vanilla Extract – 1 teaspoon
- Egg – 1
Crumble topping ingredients:
- Flour – 125 gram/ 1 cup
- Butter – 113 gram/ 1/2 cup
- Brown Sugar – 100 gram/ 1/2 cup
- Cinnamon (optional) – 1 teaspoon
- Preheat your oven to 180 degress ceclius/ 275 degrees fahrenheit. Put muffin liners in the muffin cups.
- First make the crumble topping, add all the ingredients in a bowl and with a fork or your hands crumb the butter into small pieces.
- Now let’s get started on the muffin dough. Mash the banana’s with a fork or blender. Then melt the butter in the microwave for about 40 seconds.
- In a medium bowl combine the mashed banana’s, melted butter, sugar, egg and vanilla extracts and use a mixer to mix the ignredients for a few minutes till well combined.
- Then add the dry ingredients, the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Mix till combined.
- Now scoop about two tablespoons of batter into each muffin cup. After that scoop about two teaspoons of crumble topping on top.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes. Then let cool in the muffin cups for 30 minutes and then remove the muffins and let cool down on a wire rack. Enjoy!
Muffin tray prepared
Banana’s before mashing
Combine wet ingredients
Add dry ingredients
The banana muffin dough is ready
Pour the batter in the muffin cups
Add the crumble
After the oven
- Substitute other fruit. Use apples or blue berries instead of banana’s. You don’t have to mash those. Just add some extra milk to the dough if necessary and slice the fruit in tiny pieces and add at the last step.
- Banana Muffins with Chocolate chips Add chocolate chips to the dough.
- Nutella Banana crumb muffins Heat 1 cup nutella. Before adding the curmb on top of the muffin dough add a teasoon nutella to each muffin and swirl with a spoon or toothprick to combine a bit.