Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts, tens list posts about food or recipes or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Designs.
Okay the title wellington is a bit misleading as in the end I switched up the baking form and now it really looks nothing like a wellington. It’s a vegetarian filling covered with puff pastry dough. It’s a nice filling with plenty of veggies and the sweet potatoes mash makes sure it all sticks together. I am a fan of puff pastry, so you can’t go wrong there in my opinion. It’s a nice hearty dish and I really liked this one.
This recipe is based on Jumbo’s Veggie Wellington recipe
- Sweet Potatoes – 1kg/ about 4-6 potatoes
- Red Bell Pepper – 2
- Carrots – 2
- Celery Sticks – 2
- Vegetarian Minced Meat – 350 gram
- Sun Dried Tomatoes – 25 gram
- Garlic – 6 cloves
- Onion – 1
- Corn – 1/2 cup
- Peas – 1/2 cup
- Low Salt Vegetable Bouillon Cubes – 2
- Creme Fraiche/ alpro soy or other milk product or milk substitute – 1/2 cup/ 60 gram
- Dried Thyme – 2 teaspoons
- Dried Rosemary
- Tomato Paste – 1 teaspoon
- Puff pastry – 450 gram/ 10 pieces/ 1 roll
- Olive Oil
- First peel the sweet potatoes and slice in small pieces. Put in a pan and set aside.
- Slice the onion and garlic and bake those in a another pan till translucent. In the meantime slice the red bell peppers, carrots and celery sticks. Once those are done add to the wok and bake for a bit longer.
- Start boiling the sweet potatoes for about 20 minutes.
- Now add the tomato paste, some water, thyme, rosemary and 1 bouillon cube to the wok with the veggies.
- Remove the puff pastry dough form the freezer and set aside so it can get to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 392 Fahrenheit/ 200 degrees Celsius.
- Slice the sun dried tomatoes into as small as possible pieces and add it to the pan with the veggies.
- Once the sweet potatoes are almost done boiling, add the corn, peas and vegetarian minced meat to the wok with the veggies and stir well.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and add the warm milk/ milks substitute or creme fraiche combined with a bouillon cube to the sweet potatoes. Mash till smooth and then add it all to the wok.
- Now prepare an oven proof bowl, coat with butter and put some of the puff pastry inside. Prick with a fork some holes in the bottom. Scoop the filling inside and cover with the rest of the puff pastry. Cut a few holes in the top so the heat can escape.
- Put in the oven an bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown on top.