Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Design.
Today I will be sharing my recipe for Tofu Korma with you, ofcourse you can also ignore the Tofu part and throw in chicken instead if you prefer meat in your dinner, see the variation tip at the bottom of this post. This dish involves lots of paprika powder and I just love the colour of the sauce. I made this twice now and I already know this one will be a regular occurance here at our house. It’s easy to make, even though the ingredient list might look like a lot. Trust me it looks more difficult then it is.
This recipe is inspired by Appetite for China.
- Tofu – 325 gram
- Red Bell Pepper – 2
- Carrots – 6 small ones or 3 large ones (optional)
- Onion – 1
- Water – 500ml/ 2 cups
- Plain Yoghurt/ Creme Fraiche/ Greek Yoghurt – 375 ml/ 1 1/2 cup
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Ginger – 1 inch chopped fresh or 2 teaspoons
- Low salt Vegetable Bouillon Cube – 1
- Dried Bay Leaf – 2 small ones or 1 large one
- Paprika Powder – 2 tablespoons
- Sugar – 2 teaspoons
- Cumin – 2 teaspoons
- Cayenne Pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander – 1 teaspoon
- Cardamon – 1/2 teaspoon
- Black pepper – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cloves – 1/2 teaspoon
- Olive Oil
This recipe feeds about 3 people. Can be served with rice (1 cup rice for 3 people) or bread.
- Slice and dice the veggies, garlic and ginger.
- Heat oil in a pan and bake the onion, garlic and ginger till the onion is translucent
- Now add in the paprika and carrots. Then add 1 cup water and the dried bay leaf en let it simmer for 10 minutes at least. Add more water when it becomes too dry.
- In the meantime slice and dice the tofu in tiny squares (see picture below). Put aside. Then throw all the remaining spices together in a small bowl and mix.
- If serving with rice, make sure to boil the water and start cooking the rice for about 10 minutes.
- Now add the spices and the tofu to the pan and stir well.
- Then add the yoghurt or creme fraiche and stir until it becomes it a slightly thick sauce.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve with the rice or bread!
Step 1 Sliced and diced veggies
Step 2 baking the onion, garlic and ginger
Step3 add the veggies
Step 3 add the water
Step 4 tofu sliced and diced in squares
Add the spices to a small bowl
Step 6 the sauce after adding the spices and Tofu
Step 7 The sauce after adding the yoghurt
- Ckicken Korma. Instead of Tofu use chicken, make sure to throw the chicken in after the onio, garlic and ginger, but before the vegies and let it bake for a few minutes before adding the veggies. You can also season the chicken beforehand in a marinade of sambal, paprika powder and oil to give it even mroe flavour.