Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts, tens list posts about food or recipes or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Designs.
As a vegetarian one of the first new things I tried to eat was tofu and for a long time I actually didn’t like tofu. Recently I found out it’s all about how you prepare tofu and this curry with tofu is definitely one of my favorite dishes with tofu now. The tofu is baked first and then added to the curry. It nicely soaks up some of the curry flavor. This curry is a bit sweet, which is an unique flavor for a curry, but it really works. I really like this curry as it has a bit of a different taste than other curries and the potato and tofu really soak up the flavor from the sauce and it’s really nice.
This recipe is loosely based on I Love Vegan her Spicy Tofu Potato Curry Soup Recipe.
- Tofu – 1 block
- Potatoes – 4
- Red Bell Pepper – 2
- Onion – 1
- Carrots – 2-3 big carrots
- Coconut milk – 1 can/ 2 cups
- Water – 1 cup
- Sweet Chili sauce – 2 tablespoons
- Bouillon cubes – 2
- Masala – 1 heaped teaspoon
- Garlic powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric – 1 teaspoon
- Paprika powder – 1 teaspoon
- Curry powder – 4 teaspoons
- Cumin powder – 1 heaped teaspoon
- Cayenne Pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – a pinch
- Mustard seed – 1 teaspoon
- Olive Oil
This recipe serves about 4 people. I usually serve it with rice, but you can also serve it with flatbread or other bread. Instead of red bell peppers you can also use pumpkin instead.
- Slice and dice the onion in tiny pieces. Put the onion in a pan or wok. Then cut the red bell pepper, potatoes and carrots into tiny pieces.
- Bake the onion until translucent. Then add the other veggies, the water, the coconut milk and the bouillon cubes. After that add all the spices except for the salt and stir well. Also add the sweet chili sauce. Let it cook for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime slice the tofu into tiny squares. Coat the tofu with a bit of sweet chili sauce. Now bake the tofu in a small pan for about 15-20 minutes. Turn the tofu around regularly.
- Once the curry has been cooking for about 20 minutes. Start cooking the rice if serving with rice.
- Once the tofu has been baked long enough and is golden brown on most sides (see picture) add it to the curry. Stir well and let the curry cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the curry from the stove and serve with rice or bread. Enjoy!