Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts, tens list posts about food or recipes or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Designs.
When I stumbled upon this recipe I was immediately convinced I had to try this. I like peanut butter sauces and making a stew with a peanut butter basis sounded like a recipe for success. Then once I actually was ready to start make the recipe and really read it I started to worry, tomatoes and peanut butter in one recipe? It sounded like trying to combine my tomato pasta sauce and peanut butter pasta sauce into one dish and that combination just sounded all wrong. I was almost tempted to skip the tomatoes, but a short internet search convinced me to give it a try after all and I am so glad I did. The tomatoes and peanut butter really make for a great rich sauce. The flavor combination might be a bit weird at the first bite, but definitely tasty as well. This stew has such a unique taste and the sweet potatoes and vegetarian chicken pieces really work here. This is a definitely a recipe that I’ll be making more often. I hope you give this one a try.
This recipe is based on Healthy Living James peanut sweet potato stew recipe
- Sweet Potatoes – 1 kg/ 4 potatoes
- Chicken or vegetarian chicken substitute – 320 gram/ 2 packages
- Canned diced tomatoes and juice – 1 can/ 220 gram
- Red Bell Pepper – 2
- Spinach – 2 handfuls
- Low Salt Bouillon cubes – 2
- Peanut Butter – 4 tablespoons
- Lentils or chickpeas – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1
- Garlic – 4
- Ground Coriander – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Olive Oil
This recipe is enough to feed about 6-7 people.
- First slice and dice the onion put it in a wok or pan, but don’t heat it yet. Then peel and press the garlic and add that as well. Now it’s time to get the other veggies ready before you heat the wok.
- Pele the sweet potatoes and slice them in small cubes. Slice and dice the red peppers as well. Now warm the olive oil in the wok and bake the onion and garlic till the onion is translucent.
- Then add the sweet potatoes and red bell pepper.s Bake for a minute or so then add the tomatoes as well as the tomato juice form the can. Add a bit of water if necessary as well as the bouillon cubes, peanut butter and coriander. Let this all sit and cook for about 20 minutes.
- After 10 minutes of cooking add the lentils and the chicken or vegetarian chicken. If using chicken you might want to bake it a bit first.
- In the meantime rinse the spinach and slice into smaller slices. Then add to the wok once the 20 minutes are over. Stir it in for a bit until it slinks, about 2 minutes or so. Once that’s done you can eat your stew. You can serve this with noodles or rice or eat it as it is.