Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Design.
I am especially fond of indian food, it’s yummy and often vegetarian. So after eating ina really good indian restauarant I started experimenting with indian recipes. This Creamy Spinach Dahl is one of my favourite recipes! It’s filled with veggies and the indian spices give it it’s curry flavour. Do make sure to use heavy/thick cream or greek yoghurt, I used cooking cream once that was thin and the curry structure wasn’t as good then.
This reciped is inspired by Veggie Belly.
- Red Bell pepper- 1
- Lentils – 200 gram/ 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 2
- Spinach either fresh or frozen – 1 1/2 cup
- Garlic – 2 gloves
- Low salt bouillon cube – 1
- Heavy Cream/ créme fraiche/ greek yoghurt – 125 ml / 4 tablespoons
- Turmeric Powder – 2 tablespoons
- Cumin Powder – 3 teaspoons
- Garam Masala – 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Mild Madras 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
- Water – 500 ml/ 2 cups
- Olive Oil
You can serve this with rice, naan or any other bread. This recipe feeds about 4-6 people.
- Slice and dice all the vegetables. Heat the oil and bake the garlic and onion until the onion is translucent.
- Add the tomato and bake for a minute or so.
- Mix all the spices and the bouillon cube in a small bowl.
- Add the paprika and a bit water and bake for about 5-10 minutes so the paprika get’s a bit soft.
- Add the lentils and spinach. If you’re not using storebrought lentils that are done already, you have to cook them first. If you’re using frozen spinach you can heat it first or let it melt in the pan. Stir well.
- Add the spices, the remaining water and the heavy cream. Stir well and cook till it is a nice thick curry.
At step 2 baking the onion, garlic and tomato
Step 3 mix the spices
And added the optional spices as well
Step 4 adding and baking the paprika
It’s alive! My boyfriend made a face in the paprika, doesn’t it look happy?
Step 5 adding the lentils
Step 5 adding the frozen spinach
Step 6 add the spices
After adding the cream, it should look something like this.