Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Design.
This is a recipe I made up myself. The idea came to me when I was doign grocery shopping and the sauerkraut was discounted, so I bought it and decided to make something with it. Sauerkraut itself is too sour for me and I remembered a dish my sister used to make with pineapple and sausages and crumble on top. I wanted to use mashed potatoes on top instead, so I gave it a try and it was really good, so I decided to share it here. Basically it’s a layer with sauerkraut and pineapple pieces then sausages on top and above that mashed potatoes. It’s really yummy and requires only a few ingredients.
- Sauerkraut – 450 gram / 3 cup
- Potatoes – 6
- Sausages – 375 gram
- Canned Pineapple – around 6 slices
- Milk – 37 ml/ 3/4 cup
- Butter – 40 gram
- Salt (optional)
- Pepper (optional)
I always make two versions one vegetarian one and one meaty one. I used the ingredients for the meat version only, which feeds about 3 people. For the vegetarian one I always use vegetarian sausages. Here in the Netherlands smoked sausage is a type of sausage often eaten with sauerkraut, so that’s why I used it for this recipe. I am not sure how well known this type of sausage is outside the Netherlands, but any other type of sausage would work as well.
- First peel the potatoes and slice and dice them. Then cook them for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime get started on slicing and dicing the sausages in thin slices.
- After that get the pineapples from the can and slice and dice them in small pieces.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them, then add the milk, butter, salt and pepper and mash them.
- Now it’s time to assemble the dish. Grease an oven proof bowl. Then get the sauerkraut out and drain it. Don’t wash it, but do make sure most of the fluid is gone. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put the sauerkraut in the oven proof bowl and put the pineapples on top. Toss around a bit until mixed.
- Then put the slices of sausages on top, neatly so they cover all the sauerkraut in one layer.
- After that put the mashed potatoes on top and use a spoon to flatten the surface.
- Put in the oven for about 15 minutes. Then remove the dish from the open and eat!
Cook the potatoes
Sliced smoked sausage
Drain the sauerkraut
Put the sauerkraut in a lightly greased oven proof bowl
Add the pineapple pieces and mix
Add the sausage (you can see the vegetarian version in the background with the vega sausage)
Mashed Potatoes on top
And here’s what it looks like after being in the oven
- Use different fruit. If you don’t like pineapple you can also use apples or maybe peaches instead.
- Cheesy topping. If you like cheese you can add some cheese on top.
- Hot Lightning Sauerkraut Casserole. If you want to go the apple way, you can also make hot lightning instead of normal mashed potatoes and use that for the top layer.