Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts, tens list posts about food or recipes or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Designs.
When I saw this recipe when scrolling through my facebook timeline I knew I had to make it. I saved it and two weeks later I gave it a try. This recipe is surprisingly simple, although there is some waiting involved. These Oreo cream cheese balls with chocolate make for a good sweet snack and the combination of Oreo with cream cheese makes for a soft and sweet filling and the chocolate coating just finished it. There’s no oven involved, only a few ingredients and time in the fridge. For this recipe I didn’t make pictures fo the whole process only of the finished result.
This recipe is based on Allerhande their Oreo Truffles recipe (dutch recipe).
- Creamcheese – 100 gram/ 1/2 cup/ 4 oz
- Oreo’s – 220 gram/ 20 Oreo’s
- Milk chocolate – 200 gram/ 1 1/8 cup
- Dark chocolate – 100 gram/ 1/2 cup
- Baking paper
- First crumble the Oreo’s. You can either put them in a good processor or put them in a ziploc bag and with a rolling pin bash and roll over it until it’s crumbled.
- Then in a medium sized bowl combine the Oreo crumbs with the cream cheese and mix well. You can attempt to do this with a spoon, but it works best to get your hands dirty and mix it with your hands.
- Cover a plate with some baking paper. Then roll balls from the Oreo and cream cheese mixture and put them all on the plate. Set the plate in the fridge for an hour so they can firm up a bit.
- After the hour in the fridge you can start applying the chocolate coating. Break the milk and dark chocolate in tiny pieces and put in a bowl or use chocolate chips. Either melt them au bain marie by putting the chocolate in a pan and beneath that a larger pan with boiling water. Or you can melt the chocolate in a microwave. If melting the chocolate in the microwave, microwave for about 20-30 second and then stir, repeat until it’s fully melted.
- Pick another plate that you cover in baking paper. Then pick up a Oreo cream cheese ball and roll the through the chocolate. Fish them out with a fork or prick them on a skewer. Place them on the new plate and repeat until all the balls are covered.
- Put the plate in the fridge for about 2 hours and then transfer them to a bowl. Now you can eat them.
You can also check out Allerhande their video recipe so you can see how they make it. The recipe is in dutch, but the video will still give you a feel for how to make this.
- Oreo Cream cheese Balls with white Chocolate. Instead of milk and dark chocolate you can also use white chocolate for the coating.
- Oreo Cream cheese Balls with Chocolate and coconut. After coating the balls with chocolate dip them in some coconut like in the original Oreo Truffles recipe (dutch recipe).
- Oreo Cream cheese Balls with Chocolate and other topping. Whatever you want to use as topping is possible, after coating the balls in chocolate just dip them in whatever dip you want. Think sprinkles, cinnamon, caster sugar, cookie crumbs etc.
- Cookies and cream cheese balls with chocolate. Instead of oreo’s you can use another type of cookie like graham or another flavor you like for the filling.
- Oreo Cream cheese Balls with Chocolate and pieces of chocolate. Add some pieces of chocolate to the filling mixture.
- Different flavored Oreo Cream cheese Balls with Chocolate. You can also use a different flavor of oreo’s instead of the normal ones for this recipe.