Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These usually are recipe posts or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Designs.
I don’t have a lot of soup recipes and for a long time didn’t really make soups, so when I stumbled upon this recipe I knew I had to try it. I love sweet potatoes and lentils. This soup turned out great. The vegetables really shine in this dish and you really taste the individual ingredients and they mix together so well. It’s a warm and hearty soup.
This recipe is based on Minimalist Baker’s Warming Red Lentil Sweet Potato Soup (Instant Pot!) recipe
- Sweet Potatoes – 4
- Carrots – 3
- Onion – 1
- Red Lentils (dried) – 3/4- 1 cup
- Apple – 1
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Coconut milk – 1/2 cup/ 1/2 can
- Water – 1 liter/ 4 cups
- Low salt Bouillon cubes – 2
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Black Pepper – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cumin – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric – 1/2 teaspoon
- Masala – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cinnamon – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cayenne – a pinch
- Olive oil
- First slice the onion and the garlic, put it in a large pan with some oil and set aside.
- Then peel the sweet potatoes, cut into squares. Peel the carrots and slice into small pieces as well.
- Now heat the oil and bake the onion and garlic till translucent. Then add the sweet potatoes and carrots and bake for a few minutes.
- Now add the water, coconut milk, low salt bouillon cubes, black pepper, cumin, turmeric, masala, cinnamon and cayenne. Let it cook for about 10-15 minutes. In the meantime peel the apple and slice into small cubes. Add to the soup.
- Once the sweet potatoes are a bit softer, but not yet done, it’s time to add the lentils. Wash the lentils then cook for another 10-13 minutes.
- After that time scoop about one cup or two of the vegetables out of the pan, set aside. Then blend the rest with a handlender till smooth. Add the vegetable pieces back to the pan and it’s ready to be eaten.