Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts, tens list posts about food or recipes or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Designs.
My boyfriend and I both like lemon flavoured things so when I saw a recipe on Pinterest for lemon bars I knew I had to give it a try. It’s sweet, lemony and doesn’t take too much time to prepare. It’s great for when you want something sweet and doesn’t want to stand int he kitchen for too long, besides the lemon all the other ingredients are those I usually have at home, so that’s good to.
This recipe is based on Your Home Based Mom her Best Lemon Bars Recipe.
- Butter – 113 gram/ 1/2 cup
- Flour – 125 gram/ 1 cup
- Powdered sugar – 31 gram/ 1/4 cup
- Water – a tiny bit (optional)
Lemon filling Ingredients
- Sugar – 150 gram/ 3/4 cup
- Flour – 15 gram/ 2 tablespoons
- Baking Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Eggs – 2
- Lemon Juice – 2 tablespoons
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl combine the butter (cut into tiny squares first), flour and powdered sugar for the crust. Mix together with your hands. You can wet your hands a little bit to make the kneading easier.
- Press the dough in a oven proof pan covered with baking paper. And bake for 15 minutes.
- Now start on the lemon filling. Combined the sugar, flour and baking powder in a medium sized bowl. Then add the eggs, lemon juice and grated lemon peel and mix well.
- Once the crust is out of the oven pour the lemon mixture on top. Put it back in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes. The edges and top should get a bit brown and look a bit weird, but that’s okay, that’s how it’s supposed to look (see pictures). If it isn’t done yet after 20 minutes, set the temperature a bit lower and let it stand for another 5 minutes.
- Let it cool down and cut it into pieces and eat!
- Lemon Bars with icing. Like Your Home Based Mom her Best Lemon Bars Recipe you can add some icing on top of your lemon bars. Combine 3/4 cup/ 93 gram powdered sugar and some lemon juice till the glaze is soft and add that on top of the lemon bars.
- Orange Bars. Instead of lemon add 2 tablespoons orange juice and the grated peel of two oranges.