Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts, tens list posts about food or recipes or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Designs.
I quite like ragout, but as I don’t eat meat and don’t like mushrooms, there aren’t as many options. So when I came across a recipe for ragout that used jackfruit and onions I had to give it a try. It turned out great with a good ragout flavor and the onions and jackfurit worked well in it.
This recipe is based on Allerhande’s Pasteitjes met Jackfruit Ragout recipe
- Jackfruit – 550 gram can
- Shallots – 4
- Butter – 50 gram/ 3-4 tablespoons
- Flour – 30 gram/ 3 1/2 tablespoons
- Soy sauce – 1 tablespoon
- Molasses – 1 teaspoon
- Vegetable Low Salt Bouillon cube – 0.5
- Gloves – 2
- Bay leaves – 2
- Black pepper – a pinch
- Water – about 2 cups
We usually serve these in puff pastry shaped so it can hold the ragout inside. Not sure if you have these in the US, you can also make them yourself by slicing puff pastry in small squares and layering them slightly tilted in a muffin baking tray and blind baking them.
- First slice and dice the shallots. Slice them through the middle and then in thin slices. Then heat the butter in a small to medium sized pan and add the shallots once the butter is melted. Add the gloves and bay leaves and bake for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime open the can of jackfruit, rinse them and break the fruit into smaller pieces.
- After the 15 minutes add the jackfruit to the pan, bake for another 5 minutes. Then add the flour and bake for another few minutes.
- Now add the soy sauce, molasses and the bouillon cube. Also add a bit of the water. keep stirring and then add some more water now and then till it reaches the right consistency.
- Remove the bay leaves and gloves and add a bit of pepper. And then your ragout is done.