Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts, tens list posts about food or recipes or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Designs.
I’ve been seeing some recipes around with jackfruit and eventually decided to give one of them a try. This jackfruit salad with curry sounded good, so I decided to give it a try. It turned out great, it’s fruity and tastes like curry and makes for a great topping on bread or to eat plain. It’s also quite simple to make, so you can easily whip this up before lunch, breakfast or a snack.
This recipe is based on Allerhande’s recipe for Pulled jackfruit-kerriesalade op een groentebroodje
- Jackfruit – 550 gram / 1 can
- Apple – 1/2
- vegan Mayonnaise – 2 tablespoons
- Curry powder – 1 teaspoon
- Onion powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Black pepper – a pinch
- Salt – a pinch
- Olive Oil
This recipe called for vegan mayonnaise so I gave it a try and thought it was quite good, but if you prefer to use normal mayonnaise I am sure that works fine too.
- First drain and rinse the jackfruit. Then using your hands pull the jackfruit apart into smaller pieces.
- Heat some oil in a pan or wok and add the jackfruit. Bake for about 5 minutes with the curry powder, onion powder, black pepper and salt.
- In the meantime slice the the half apple into smaller pieces, you can leave the skin on.
- Once the jackfruit has baked for 5 minutes, turn down the heat and add the apple and mayonnaise. Stir well.
- Now you can eat it or serve with bread.
I omitted the avocado the original recipe used, but if you like that one, you can always add it. Just combine it with the mayonnaise before adding