Lola’s Kitchen is a feature on Lola’s Reviews where I talk about all things related to food, cooking and baking. These posts can be recipe posts or more discussion type posts about food. I love cooking and spend some time in the kitchen almost every day, so I wanted to give it a place on my blog as well. The banner for this feature is designed by Michelle from Limabean Design.
There aren’t many pasta recipes I liked and I don’t often try new pasta recipes for that reason, but when I came across a creamy cajun pasta recipe I had to give it a try. I was really happy with the homemade cajun spice mix that was provided in the recipe and after the first time I decided I had to do a recipe post about this. As I am a vegetarian I prepare the chicken seperately so my boyfriend can mix it through his pasta on his plate, but if everyone eats meat you can ofcourse just mix it through the pasta.
This recipe is losely based on Cooking Classy her Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe.
- Red Bell Pepper – 2
- Onion – 1
- Pasta – 300 gram/ 11oz
- Olive Oil
- Chicken – 150 gram/ 0,25 lb for one/ two people or 500 gram/ 1lb for four people (optional)
- Water – 1 1/4 liter / 5 cups
- Low Salt Bouillon Cubes – 2
- Paprika powder – 4 teaspoons
- Garlic Powder – 3 teaspoons
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Oregano – 2 teaspoons
- Thyme – 2 teaspoons
- Onion powder – 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Black Pepper powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cayenne Pepper – 1/2 teaspoon or more if you like your food spicy
This recipe feeds about 4 people. If you don’t want to make your own spices mix, you can substitute the spices for a storebrought cajun spices mix. I don’t have onion powder and never added it, but it still tastes great.
- First prepare the cajun spices mix if you’re not using storebrought cajun seasoning. Mix the paprika powder, salt, oregano, thyme, onion powder, black pepper powder and cayenne pepper in a tiny bowl.
- Slice the chicken in tiny squares and throw them in a small/medium bowl, add some olive oil and two teaspoon cajun spices. Mix well and set aside to marinate.
- Now slice and dice the onion and red bell pepper.
- Heat some olive oil in a big pan or wok and bake the onion until translucent. Then add the red bell pepper and one cup water and cook for about ten minutes.
- Then add the rest of the water, the rest of the cajun spices (about 3 teaspoons) and the 2 bouillon cubes.
- Break the pasta in tiny pieces and add to the wok. Now cook for 10 minutes or until most of the water is gone.
- In the meantime heat some olive oil and bake the chicken.
- Combine the chicken and pasta or mix on your plate.
Cajun spices after combining
Slice and dice the chicken in tiny pieces
The chicken with cajun spices, marinating
Red Bell Pepper
Baking onion and red bell pepper
Water and spices added
Baking the chicken
Cajun Pasta on plate
- Cajun Seafood Pasta. Substitute the chicken for shrimp or other seafood.
- Cheesy/ Creamy Cajun Pasta. Like Cooking Classy her Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe you can add 1 1/2 cups milk, 3 tabslespoon flour, 1/2 cu heavy cream and 1/3 cup parmesan cheese to the dish. Add these ingredients at step 5.