I am so excited to be part of the blog tour of Soul Avenged. I really loved this book! And even better I got to kick off this awesome blog tour with a post on the very first day, the release day of Soul Avenged! Also I got the chance to interview Keri Lake and let me tell you it is an awesome interview! First I will share my review with you and then I will post my interview with Keri Lake! And at the bottom of this post you will find the rafflecopter of the tour wide giveaway.
Soul Avenged (Sons of Wrath #1)
by Keri Lake
I got a copy to beta read
Blurb from Goodreads: Passion is blind in vengeance and love …
Ayden’s suburban home was invaded by a pack of Lycans.
The brutal attack is the only memory she carries of her former life.
Now, one motive burns in her soul:
KILL THEM ALL.
The Sons of Wrath—a brood of vengeance-dealing warrior demons—band with Ayden to hunt the Lycans on Detroit’s most deadly feeding grounds.
Kane Walker should’ve been her easiest kill.
Unfortunately, the newly bitten Lycan has something she wants—clues that may finally lay her past to rest. To reach them, she must be willing to submit to the sensual pleasures awakened by his touch.
Time is running out.
In seven days, Kane will become what Ayden despises most. She can halt his transformation but the antidote requires the ultimate sacrifice. As the beast takes hold, Kane becomes more of a threat.
Ayden must choose between her lust for revenge, or surrender to her enemy and discover a horrible truth.
Sons of Wrath
Never gamble with vengeance
When I started this book I was a bit unsure if I would like it. It starts out pretty violent and the world is dark. But even though there were some gruesome details I really enjoyed this book. I beta read this book, so my review is based on the beta version of this book, this means it is entirely possible the book is even better when you read it.
The story is so good, the beginning is a bit confusing and I had so many questions about what was happening. But it doesn’t take much time before it starts making sense and then I just wanted to keep reading, because the story was awesome. I wanted to know what was going to happen. I also liked the mystery in this book, there is so much going on and so much that I wanted to know and understand and I just kept firing all of my question towards the author because I couldn’t wait to learn more.
I also liked the fact that we get to see multiple point of views in this book. It makes the story so much better, we even get to see the perspective of the “evil” guys and get to understand a bit of their minds and perspective. I love multiple point of views, although some POV switches where a bit confusing and the author also switched perspective in the same chapter a few times, on the one hand this is a bit confusing, but it also allowed to easily switch perspectives and give both characters opinion of what happened.
At the beginning I wasn’t really interested in the characters, but as the book progresses we learn more about them and I began to like many of them. I still think that some character could’ve used a bit more attention, but the author assured me we get to know them better in the next books. I really liked Ayden, the main character, she is broken, but is also very strong and I liked seeing her develop as the story progresses. I also really liked Annabelle, she is so caring and nice, but also loves to gossip and even though she is a side character I really liked her. And ofcourse I liked Kane, he is thrown into this world from which he knows nothing and he manages to stay a good guy even through everything that happens. Also it felt like all characters had hiding depths and there is more to them than what we learn in this book. We do get some glimpses of the personalities of most of the characters in this book.
The world building is one of the things I love most about this book. The author has created such an interesting world. And even though only small parts of it are explained in this first book, it did capture my attention and I only wanted to know more and understand everything about this world. There are demons and Lycans in this world, but both are different from what you usually read in this genre. I loved the originality of the world and can’t wait to learn more about it.
To conclude: I really enjoyed this book. The story was great and interesting and I couldn’t wait to read more and learn more about it. I really liked the characters and loved seeing multiple perspectives. And the world was so interesting and I wanted to know more about this world than we learn in this book. I can’t wait to see from who’s POV the next book is and what will happen. The ending gave some clues of what is to come and I want to read the next book now!
Add this book to your to-read list on Goodreads.
You can buy it here:
– Amazon (kindle)
– Amazon (paperback)
– Amazon.co.uk (kindle)
About keri lake:
Keri Lake is a married mother of two. She writes fiction in the genres of paranormal romance and urban fantasy. A graduate of Michigan State University (go green!), Keri holds 2 degrees in science but would gladly trade them both to pursue her true passion for writing. She’s a flash fiction addict and a sucker for sexy men with wings.
When she isn’t toiling away on plots and protagonists, she enjoys reading, music and travel. If she could create mystical powers for herself, she’d have the ability to flash to anywhere in the world. And if she could flash to anywhere in the world at this very moment, she’d be staring at the ocean from her adirondack chair on the shores of North Carolina.
Keri Lake’s Social Media Links:
Amazon Author Page
And here is my interview I did with Keri Lake:
Hello Keri! Welcome to my blog Lola’s Reviews. I am so excited to have you on my blog today!
I start with a few question about the story in general:
What was your inspiration for writing Soul Avenged?
– Excited to be on your blog, Lola, thanks for having me! Soul Avenged sort of materialized out of nowhere, as I was actually smack in the middle of writing Requiem (Halos, #2) when it hit me. The characters, though, were so vivid that I had to surrender to the distraction. For a while, I’ve had a craving to write a tough female protagonist like Ayden, so in a way, I was sort of feeding an addiction.
The story takes place in Detroit. Why did you decide to let the story take place here? And what are your own connections with Detroit?
– I was born in Detroit and grew up on its outskirts my whole life. I wanted my female protagonist to have a strong connection to her surroundings and so it made sense for me to write about a place I know on a more intimate level. The city itself makes for a great setting to the storyline.
In the world you created the Lycans are very different from many of the werewolves I’ve read about. The Lycans in your book are more animal and even portrayed as evil sometimes. Why did you choose to make the Lycans like they are?
– I’d actually fleshed out Ayden’s character before I even knew what her motives through the book were going to be. She is a very strong and guarded female. Pairing her against a lesser supe just didn’t fit. I decided I wanted to challenge her strength a little by making the lycans a much more intimidating opponent. As for the lycans themselves, their natures will continue to evolve (as you’ve come to experience in this book), but as this first in the Sons of Wrath series is written from Ayden’s perspective, it was natural and fitting that these creatures would come off as evil.
How many books have you planned in this series?
– Oh man, this is a tough one. There are seven brothers and I’ve mapped out a story for each of them. In addition to that, I’ve also plotted a couple of novellas in between. If I want to go really crazy with the series, Wrath demons are only one species of demon in the book. There are hundreds of species in the underworld realm. So we’ll see how it goes!
Are there scenes that you enjoy writing more than other?
– I actually love to write action scenes but more so than that, my favorite scenes are kissing. I love that first kiss between characters and all of the excitement and emotions wrapped up in it.
Which scenes do you find the most difficult to write?
– Hmmmm. Probably the black moment. If my readers feel stressed, know that I’m equally stressed having to write it. And I push myself to get beyond to the other side.
A few questions about the characters:
Which characters are the easiest to write about?
– Ayden was the easiest by far for me to write as some of me bleeds into her. Though, uh, I’m not out slaying wolves on the weekends or anything. I guess the protagonist just comes kind of natural. But honestly, the bad guys can be kinda fun too sometimes.
Which characters are the most difficult to write about?
– Haha! Guys in general but in this series, probably Zeke. And I love him for challenging me like that. In fact, I’ve made such a beast out of him, that he’s commonly named the least favorite of the brothers. My absolute goal though is to make my readers swoon and cheer for him when it’s his turn to tell his story.
Annabelle is one my favorite characters of this book. She has a very distinct personality, she is really caring, but also loves to gossip. How did you come up with the idea for her character?
– I always like to add that kind and loving ‘grandmotherly’ type in a story when I can. I’ve been fortunate to have such loving guidance from the women in my family and I find myself compelled to offer the same to my characters.
A few questions being a writer:
What do you enjoy most about being an author?
– Creating worlds for readers to escape to.
What is the most difficult part of being a writer?
– I’d have to say keeping to all of the different voices. If there are many characters in a particular scene it can sometimes be exhausting to tackle because the writer has to quickly switch the personalities on and off from one line to the next and make sure each voice comes through in their words.
Do you have any writing habits?
– Music and coffee are must-haves when I write. I also get up ridiculously early in the morning because I find those early hours are when I do my best thinking, oddly enough.
Now a few short questions about the author herself.
What is one of your best books you’ve read?
– Hmmmm. Jeez, this is an intimidating question every time I’m asked. It changes so frequently and I always end up thinking, Oh but what about … But if we’re talkin’ paranormal romance and something I’ve read a couple times now it’d have to be Kiss of a Demon King by Kresley Cole.
What is your favorite genre?
– Definitely paranormal romance. But I also like a dark & twisted gothic tale too.
What is your favorite food?
– It’s a tie between dark chocolate and chips & salsa.
What do you like to do in your spare time?
– Whenever I’m not pecking away at a story, I like to spend time with the family and read.
Thanks Keri for answering all my questions!
There is also a tour wide giveaway, you can enter at the rafflecopter below:
Below is a list of all the participants of this Blog Tour!
Thank you lovely Lola for hosting a spot on the tour! <3 And huge thanks for the humbling review. You rock!
aww thanks! I really love being part of this awesome blog tour. I hope lots of people will pick up soul avenged and love it.
Hi Lola 🙂 this book sounds very good, I need to check it out – whether I win it or not. I am always excited to read new authors, and this sounds like something I’d like.
Thanks for stopping by my European Bloggers post earlier – now the comments are even working… I’m following you via GFC and Google+.
Have a wonderful week.
Hi Lexie, I will stop by your blog again to leave a comment, because that wasn’t working earlier ;).
Soul Avenged really is an awesome book and I can’t wait to see where Keri Lake goes with this series 🙂
Great review! It must be a really good book if you gave it all 5! I’d love to read about the characters, and I’ll see if I can get it sometime soon. (:
I hope you have time to read it soon, I really enjoyed this book and can’t wait to read the next book in this series. I hope you enjoy it too 🙂
What a good review. I enjoy dark gruesome books so this is definitely a must read since it seems to be very good.
I tried to join the RSS feed as instructed in the subscribe part for the giveaway but kept getting sent to a page full of code and nonsense. So I joined the Pinterest (same name as comment) and Twitter (@queendsheena). Hope that’s ok.
Thanks Sheena :). I hope you will be able to get a copy and enjoy it.
To enter the giveaway you should follow Keri Lake’s blog. Because this is a tour wide giveaway. I don’t think it matters how you follow as long as you follow her blog.
To be sure I checked the social media links on both my and Keri Lake her blog and all of them are working. So maybe it was a temporary problem?
Awesome tour,thanks for the giveaway.